ERROR 39 WHILST MAKING USB RCOVERY DISK

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by BRIAN1002, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BRIAN1002

BRIAN1002

HELP
    I have just tried to make a usb linux recovery device using the instructions provided with the acer aspire one laptop, after selecting the usb device to be used i got an ERROR 39 message, i have now lost the partition on the computer which i was using to create the usb recovery device and cannot access most of the data held on this machine. Can anyone help me
    1. restore the partitioning on my machine.
    2. tell me a way of making a usb recovery device without this problem

any help most appreciated

Brian

BRIAN1002, Feb 4, 2009
  2. BRIAN1002

yachtpro

Don't know if your running Windows or Linux, but in either case, two thing apply: (1) you cannot restore the hidden partition containing the restore facility under any circumstances once it is gone. (2) a recovery USB stick or CD ROM cannot be made from that hidden partition at any time, even though the instructions with the Acer One and some people will tell you that it can. If I am wrong, someone please correct me, but from everything I've read in these forums, what I just told you in 1 & 2 is true. Two choices remain..... (1) install a new Windows Home Basic and use it's registration key or the key on the tag on the bottom of the Acer will probably work. Worst case is call Microsoft and they will revalidate the copy for the install as long as it's a legal copy. (2) Purchase the restore discs from Acer for the AAO. $20 for the discs and $10 shipping (OUCH!!) REMEMBER.....this still WILL NOT restore the hidden partition and put back the eRecovery program onto the Acer. At least you can then use a third party program such as Paragon's Disk Keeper and do a total "mirror" copy of your hard drive including the OS and all your favorite programs that you install every time you change out a hard drive or buy/build a new machine.

yachtpro, Feb 5, 2009
  3. BRIAN1002

alonzomartini

Hi,

I had the same problem when trying to make a recovery usb drive: Error 39, and then on reboot of my XP machine, the D drive was gone!

I successfully recovered my D drive with a piece of software called Partition Table Doctor (Version 3.5) You can download a demo version of this from http://www.ptdd.com to see if it works, but you have to buy the product to make the fix.

Don't know how to get around the Error 39 problem in the first place... any help would be appreciated.

alonzomartini, Feb 10, 2009
Ask a Question