eeePC 1000HA released on NewEgg

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by icecube, Oct 7, 2008.

1. icecube

icecube

I just wanted to let you all know that the eeePC 1000HA has been released on NewEgg. Its still on pre-orders on amazon and other sites. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220440

The 1000HA is exactly the same as the 1000H model except there is no bluetooth or wireless N. The reason why Asus released this model is to compete with the Aspire One.

The 1000HA is comparable to the high end Acer Aspire one in every way. Same harddrive, same processor, same ram, same 6 cell battery, same OS, etc. The only difference I noticed while looking at the specs is that 1000HA has a larger screen (10" instead of 8.9"). Another minor difference is the right shift key is awkward (just like the 1000H) and the available colors are only white and black (Aspire one has black, white, pink, blue and brown). The 1000HA mouse buttons are placed normally (unlike the Acer Aspire One). Since the 1000HA has a bigger screen, the keyboard is also a bit bigger. Not sure how much though.

The 1000HA is selling for $430 which is $30 more expensive than the high end Aspire One. Since I am in the market looking for a netbook I am wondering if that extra $30 is worth spending to get that larger screen (and larger keyboard). If you have the 8.9" Aspire One, how is the keyboard and screen? Is it big enough to use daily to take notes and stuff? Of course, I am also taking into consideration the available colors and what would bother me more, an awkward right shift key or awkward mouse buttons.

EDIT: Two more differences I noted was battery life and graphics. While both have a 6 cell battery, the 1000HA states it has 7 hours of battery life while the Aspire One 6 cell only gets 5.5 hours. Any thoughts on this? Lastly, the 1000HA has Intel UMA graphics while the Aspire One has Intel GMA950. Can anyone the differences between the two and which one is better?

icecube, Oct 7, 2008
  2. icecube

Murgatroid

I would think both laptops, given the same set of parts, would have the same battery life. I think the EEE is a bit optimistic.

GMA950 is UMA (unified memory architecture). This means it uses main memory for video RAM instead of having it's own set.

-steve

Murgatroid, Oct 8, 2008
  3. icecube

radu

Weight 3.20 lbs.

That's note a netbook anymore, you can get a 12" real laptop for that weight..

radu, Oct 9, 2008
  4. icecube

penandpaper

i think ultimately PRICE is the controlling factor for most consumers.

while you can get a 12" notebook in the 2-3lb weight, to have one fall in the $300 to $400 is at the moment non-existent. suffice to say that ultra light notebooks have been around for awhile, nobody has been pulling them off the shelves because of the $1500 to $2000 price tag. MSI got it right and started the "affordable" UMPC phenomenom but the late-comers will still have room to get their own market share.

within three months i have bought 3 UMPCs, two aspire ones and one asus 1000HA. it's absolutely NOT a desktop replacement but for on-the-go people this is a fabulous piece of technology.

penandpaper, Nov 11, 2008
  5. icecube

jinx022

jinx022, Nov 12, 2008
  6. icecube

Janye

What turned me off of the EEE's was the HD space vs. cost ratio. I wanted one, but the space was an issue so I waited and waited on the netbook craze and I am glad I did...

My aspire, I have a 160 GB, 3 cell, atom running XP for a whopping total of 379 + tax. When I see something in a similar price range with a lower HD or SSD drive, I wonder why it is still competitive. Not to say that it is probably not an excellent machine in its own right, however, I don't get the appeal Vs. price.

If someone could explain it to me in very laymans terms the appeal, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Janye, Nov 13, 2008
  7. icecube

jinx022

For SSDs the advantages are:

1. Rugged with no moving parts.
    2. Lower power so less heat and longer battery life.
    3. Coolness as the newest thing.

For normal HDs the advantages are:

1. Much larger capacity - 80 to 160GB vs 4-16GB.
    2. Much faster write times and somewhat faster read times.
    3. Longer life if treated gently.

Since you are running XP, the HD fast write and read times are important. The size depends on your needs. If you keep many videos on the Acer then 160GB is great.

My Linpus operating system is only 2.8GB and even the XP on this desktop is just 3.8GB. I just need something light and tough to toss in a backpack for travel so my 16GB is more than enough.

It's really just what suits your needs better.

jinx022, Nov 13, 2008
  8. icecube

fbx

I'm late to this party bu have 2 cents to add:

The eeePC 1000HA is in no way comparable to the AA1. MAYBE some parts are similar, but the overall machine itself is much bigger and heavier and uglier. I actually sold my first AA1, shopped around a while, then bought the eeePC 1000 thinking the 10" screen would make a difference. It didn't. And the 1000HA was so much bigger and uglier and with a worse keyboard, and . . . well, I returned it and bought another AA1.

I may go for the 10" AA when it comes out in spring, but only if they keep the weight and size down. They could get a 10" screen into the current chassis w/o too much trouble. If they do that, and make the HD and memory accessible, that'll be a buy for me.

fbx, Nov 27, 2008
  9. icecube

clc4912

I actually have an eeepc 1000h and it is a very nice machine. That machine is a work machine and the AA1 is my personal machine. It is hard for me to compare the two machines as the Asus is now running XP pro with a 320 gb hard drive with 2 gb of memory. When I was in search of a machine for my personal use, it boiled down to price as the specs were very similar (eepc 1000HA). The 10" screen is nice but not significantly different and the more than $100.00 price difference was the deciding factor. I have to say that the Asus is far superior in upgradability with rear panel access over the Acer. I hope this is something that Acer looks at in the future and addresses. I can remember a day when people did not upgrade machines after purchase, but those days are long gone. I am in the IT field and am not discouraged by taking the machine apart but many others may be. They are both great machines in their own rights.

I actually bought an AA1 for my wife for christmas over the Asus due to cost comparability. Just my thoughts.

clc4912, Nov 29, 2008
  10. icecube

tarmax

it's all about quality

while my aao motherboard explode 2 times in 3 months, my girlfriend 100ha always go's clean and smooth that's the only thing i have to say

tarmax, Dec 1, 2008
  11. icecube

info

Posted in Error

Apologies.

info, Dec 3, 2008
  12. icecube

info

I believe that besides the right shift key, the touchpad's right and left click buttons on the 1000H(A) need quite a bit of work. Asus may have come out with an improved touchpad since I last saw it, but both those qualities set off alerts in my mind regarding whether, in spite having been the pioneer, the motherboard designer is ready for prime time when it comes to other aspects of designing hardware. Granted that they have made the machines more easily expandable.

info, Dec 3, 2008
  13. icecube

info

:!:

info, Dec 4, 2008
  14. icecube

info

Nice move upgrading the hard drive to 320, the ASUS has the expandability aspect nailed down it seems. I have heard at least of a couple of incidents where AAO owners have broken their keyboards trying to upgrade RAM.

Has the 1000H ever given you 7+ hours?

info, Dec 4, 2008
  15. icecube

goofball

i only get around 5.5-6.25 hours max depending on what i am doing with 1000HA. I get much less now than i used to with the AAO since upgrading bios to 3307 vs using 3114 but couldn't handle the multiple bios-death screens i would get on a regular basis. Probably in the range of 4-4.5 hrs vs easily over 5hrs doing the same things before bios upgrade. Very disappointing.

goofball, Dec 13, 2008
  16. icecube

info

Thanks for that input goofball. Somehow I get the impression that we are all going to begin collecting lots of netbooks over the next few years as the improvements are likely to be dramatic. You are fortunate in being able to have two of the best out there. I hope my AAO holds (I don't need any modifications at this point) for at least one year.

info, Dec 13, 2008
Ask a Question