EEE PC 1000H vs AAO

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by issai, Sep 13, 2008.

1. issai

issai

In spirit of Jawn's spreadhsheet breakdown of the Mini 9 vs AAO, and since I've been running the EEE PC 1000H vs AAO side-by-side and very frequently for the last few days, I've posted my personal feedback and findings here:

http://toretiresooner.blogspot.com/2008/09/review-of-acer-aspire-one-aoa150-1750.html

I'm posting this because as I was trying to decide between these two particular machines, I really didn't find any direct comparos between the 1000H and the AAO (who I could Google up in a matter of a couple days), so I hope this helps other people who are in the same boat I was in. I did find abundant reviews comparing the AAO to the MSI Wind-- or the EEE PC 1000's to the MSI Wind-- or the Dell Mini 9 vs. xxx-but due to all the different sources for all the reviews and differences of opinions, it was really tough to baseline any decision without a direct comparo either by me or someone else.

issai, Sep 13, 2008
  2. issai

Jawn

nice job, issai! :D

Jawn, Sep 14, 2008
  3. issai

Gloomster

I was looking for something just like this. Since Amazon now has the 1000hd for the same price as the 6 cell One, it is a hard choice. I was pretty much sold on the One, but now the Asus is looking very tempting. I like the larger matte screen, and the weight difference isn't going to make a difference to me.....
    I like having competition and choices!

Gloomster, Sep 26, 2008
  4. issai

JakeE

just remember that the 1000hd doesn't have the atom processor. i think it has the celeron but no atom. the 1000H has the atom. so before you make your judgment, take that into consideration

JakeE, Sep 27, 2008
  5. issai

Gloomster

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I made the last post. I was confused because the source said it had the atom processor on the 1000hd, but looking further I realized that was all a dirty lie.

Gloomster, Sep 27, 2008
  6. issai

supapoopa

Have you noticed a substantial difference in wireless range and net surfing speed between the two?

Any chance you can provide a side by side picture to compare size?

Thanks for the review as I'm trying to decide between the two. :cool:

supapoopa, Oct 7, 2008
  7. issai

mpilone

I've actually been having the same struggle myself. I used some e-bay coupons and managed to get both an AA1 (6-cell) and a 1000H. I haven't opened either one yet as I try to figure out which one I want to keep and which to resell. Unfortunately everything I read puts the final decision as a toss up. I got each machine for about $375 so price isn't an issue.

I already have a 15" Dell Latitude as my main machine so I was really looking for something portable (throw in a bag and take camping for directions and to dump pictures). I think the AA1 wins there. But the 1000H has a nicer screen, larger keyboard, 802.11n, and bluetooth. But at 10" it looks like it would be about 1" bigger all the way around and 1/2 lb heavier than the AA1.. not to mention the wost right shift key known to man. What I don't want is another laptop which is a fine line for the 1000H.

Thanks for the spreadsheet. It lays out the arguments I've been having in my own head nicely. If I keep the AA1 and resell the 1000H for $425 I can say I got the AA1 for a final price of $325.. which is nice.

I haven't been able to find any machine in a big box retailer to try them out in person. So, what did others end up doing? Are you happy with your choice? It sounds like you can't go wrong with either machine at this point.

-mike

mpilone, Oct 7, 2008
  8. issai

JakeE

Besides the struggle i am having of whether a netbook would be any use, I am also struggling to decide between the 1000H and AAO. With both machines at insanely low prices due to ebay, I don't know which to consider. The AAO looked the best at first but I am now undecided.

JakeE, Oct 8, 2008
  9. issai

icecube

icecube, Oct 8, 2008
  10. issai

mpilone

Thanks, icecube, you're not making this any easier ;)

After having the AA1 siting in my living room in the box for two days I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go with it and in a year buy whatever the new, state of the art is. At $350 - 400 these laptops are almost replaceable on a 1 - 1.5 year basis anyway. It seems like every week that I wait there is some new model announced from some other manufacturer that I should wait for.

-mike

mpilone, Oct 8, 2008
  11. issai

scottro

I was thinking the same thing. icecube, everyone's going to get mad at you. :)

I started with the thought that I'd get the least expensive, looking at it as replaceable. However, after it gave me the black screen of death, I returned it, as I was already wondering if I'd made the wrong decision.

Now, I'm ready to get a new one and have been going through the same thing as other folks. I believe I'm going to go with the 6 cell Acer and replace Windows with Linux.

The spreadsheet helped me make the decision. To me, the keyboard is probably the most important factor as I use it far more than the mouse. (I usually install fluxbox as my window manager and create various keyboard shortcuts.) The difficulty in upgrading is a minus, but with a gig of RAM and Linux, I think I will be fine. The size seems (to me) to be the perfect compromise--going for the larger 10 inch screen seems to start getting out of the realm of netbook and I already have a laptop. (That's just a personal feeling, we all have our own feeling about that.)

Amazon is now selling the HP mininote with a different processor at less than 400, but another reason for me to choose the Acer is that I know, from experience, that I can get all the hardware that I need (sound and wireless) working without much effort. The Realtek card in the newer Asus models will require a bit more work. Also, if I get one of these with the N card, then I'll also wind up buying a new router.

This way, I don't have that excuse. :) (I know that not all the Asus models have the N wireless, but enough do so that were I to buy an Asus, I would probably go for one of them.)

scottro, Oct 8, 2008
  12. issai

mpilone

scottro,

I'm leaning the same way. I think the 8.9" is a better portable form factor so going to the 10" 1000H is getting too close to just carrying my 15" Dell.

As for wireless N, I also only have a b/g router. Judging by the life of 802.11B I'll be fine with G for another 5 years and the netbook isn't going to be streaming HD or anything demanding.

If I wait any longer there will be 10 more options to choose from :)

-mike

mpilone, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question