editing group-app.xml

Discussion in 'Linux' started by golfermpf, Feb 5, 2009.

1. golfermpf

golfermpf

Can any one help? I want To edit the group-app.xml so I can create a new icon under fun which would display the new games I have installed to my Apsire One. I have removed the shareware from the original icon and filled the gaps with newly installed games so would like to create another icon where i can put the extras

golfermpf, Feb 5, 2009
  2. golfermpf

daldred

Have you already edited the grou-app.xml file to add previous applications? If so, have a look at how the bit starting "<dir id='1'...> at the bottom works.

Basically, the icon in the 'Fun' section which takes you to the present games panel points to this section of the group-app.xml file, and refers to a Games.directory file in /usr/share/desktop-directories (instead of a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications).

There is in fact a Games-More.directory file already there; I heven't tried this but I reckon if you were to create a further bit starting "dir id='2'...> aftter the existing 'dir' section at the bottom of group-app.xml, and put an entry in the 'Fun' area pointing to this new dir section and using Games-More.directory, you'd get what you are after.

But... no guarantees, back up your group-app.xml first, and enable the VTSwitch first so that you have a way back if everything goes Horribly Wrong......

daldred, Feb 5, 2009
  3. golfermpf

golfermpf

thanks for that David I will give it a bash and see what happens

golfermpf, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question