Easisest way To Install Windows using a pen drive....

Discussion in 'Windows' started by RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 15, 2008.

1. RaVeNSaNkHE

RaVeNSaNkHE

Hi,
    This is the easiest way to install Windows. Works like charms and across all net books.
    I used a i ball 4GB pen drive for the same. Faced no issues with the setup.

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/insta ... e-usb.html

If any difficulty.... you may put up the same on this thread....I will try my best to resolve them or else you may simply bother Mr. Brad if you feel like.... :D....I am sure he wouldn't mind :p

Have fun!!!!

RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 15, 2008
  2. RaVeNSaNkHE

Brian

It certainly dosn't work on my Aspire One. I get to the "Windows starting" message and it then shuts down "to prevent damage .."

Brian, Sep 15, 2008
  3. RaVeNSaNkHE

RaVeNSaNkHE

Ok....Brian, sorry to hear that and really....sorry for the late reply.
    Since, you are getting such an error, I assume that you successfully created a bootable disc and faced this error after/while installation of Windows XP.

What I would recommened is that you delete all partions and reinstall XP again....

Alternatively, you may send me more details about what you did and where you get the error.

Do let me know.

RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 17, 2008
  4. RaVeNSaNkHE

RaVeNSaNkHE

Re: Problem installing Win XP
    by blazinace on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

blazinace wrote:
    RaVeNSaNkHE wrote:

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/insta ... e-usb.html

this may help you....or else you may visit the thread I have created....

That is the method which I first tried and then also tried a similar method using the USB_Multiboot as well. I can create the boot USB without any problems. Then I selected the "text" mode installation and it begins to transfer files. As soon as it reaches the "setup is starting Windows" thats where I encounter the blue screen. I"m going to try using USB DVD rom to see if it's any better.
    Nevertheless, thanks for your response.

I finally figured it out and installed Win XP. When I loaded my copy of Win XP onto the USB, I was using an old copy of XP without SP1 nor SP2. I slipstreamed SP2 with my Win XP and it worked great.

May be this will help you, Brian

RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 17, 2008
  5. RaVeNSaNkHE

ross

Hi, i am using the aspire 110 with SSD. Can I check with you guys whether I need to delete all partitions on the SSD before I install windows on it? Is there any hidden data that comes in any partitions that will be forever lost once removed? In other words, if I mess up big time will I be able to restore the notebook back to the factory state by just using the recovery disk?

I'm extremely scared to do this lol but I'm desperate because I just can't use linux... :?

ross, Sep 19, 2008
  6. RaVeNSaNkHE

simbeb

I am joining Ross on this one. When I boot from the USB stick, it offers me to install through text GUI fine, but before I even select my installation method, the screen changes to a missing hal.dll file or something. I guess it is because there is more than one partition on the drive. So if I delete the other partition, will I be losing some Linpus recovery files for ever, or can I recover without it? And btw, how do I delete that partition?

Cheers.

simbeb, Sep 19, 2008
  7. RaVeNSaNkHE

cr0nite

Same question for me here...

cr0nite, Sep 20, 2008
  8. RaVeNSaNkHE

salvam

same question here.. what about come back to linpus?.. probably we'll only need the acer recovery disk.. or probably not!..

somebody knows?

salvam, Sep 20, 2008
  9. RaVeNSaNkHE

cr0nite

From this thread:

cr0nite, Sep 20, 2008
  10. RaVeNSaNkHE

simbeb

Thank you so much for your response. Your English is fine. Cheers.

simbeb, Sep 20, 2008
  11. RaVeNSaNkHE

simbeb

Setup copies the files, then reboots the drive - i make sure it boots again from the USB stick and select GUI setup, but it doesn't go anywhere in the install, I catch a glimpse of the light blue installation sreen saying 'setup is being restarted', then it looks like a windows start, then I get the error message: 'a write operation was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted. I have only one partition that the Windows install USB stick formatted in FAT32. I am so close to getting XP installed after a week of trying, this is very frustrating: can you help here somebody?

simbeb, Sep 23, 2008
  12. RaVeNSaNkHE

thewildkid

Dammit, guys. I successfully installed XP Home Edition SP2 on my AAO yesterday, but found it was painstakingly slow on the SSD, so this morning I decided to re-install it again.

The problem is, now I can't seem to get the correct boot.ini on my AAO once Windows is installed. Can anyone here give me the EXACT and CORRECT boot.ini for AAO's running WIndows XP??? I can't boot from the hard drive, every time I open my AAO I need to have the bootable USB Stick I used for XP Installation.

Ah, I hope you understand what I'm saying here... help is very much needed because I can't locate the freaking boot.ini anywhere on the 'net! I just need to know the exact way the boot.ini on AAO with XP should be... I did it right the first time but now I don't know why but I can't... and all I get is a blue error screen that says "encountered an error... shut down to prevent damage" or some shit.

Lookin forward to your help guys, thanks.

thewildkid, Sep 23, 2008
  13. RaVeNSaNkHE

RaVeNSaNkHE

Ok....
    First thing first....my apologies for being out of action....

Replying to the earlier post....(ross, simbeb, cr0nite, salvam):
    You need to delete all the partitions(Even the one which has got the recovery data) to continue with the setup.
    In case anything goes wrong you will need the recovery disc to reinstall Linpus.(I don't thing anything will go wrong, but REcovery DVD is the only thing which can save you later)

As for you my dear friend Simbeb:
    You can delete the partitions while installing windows.
    Detailed description:
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppr ... llpage.htm

Wildkid .... why don't you simply reformat/delete the partitions and do a clean install of XP. That way you need not worry about the boot.ini file at all.

;)

Lets see if that works.

Regards,
    RaVeN

Another thing "thewildkid" .... when I had faced a similar issue .... I would select the last option in the boot menu with the install pen drive still inside .... later while on the desktop .... i removed it and restarted the AAO .... worked fine ....

RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 23, 2008
  14. RaVeNSaNkHE

thewildkid

Ah, yes I'm aware that I can boot with the USB pen drive first, remove it and I'll have a fully working XP machine in my AAO. However the problem is the next time I reboot and boot from HD I get that damn blue screen error.

If only a clean XP install didn't take so much time!!! Sigh... I'm going to re-install AGAIN for now and see if your suggestion works. Thanks.

thewildkid, Sep 23, 2008
  15. RaVeNSaNkHE

thewildkid

And wait, just to be clear, if you experienced installing XP with pen drive on the AAO yourself, or if anyone else here has, please let me know the EXACT changes you made to the boot.ini files. The liliputing article mentions the boot.ini file should be edited. I remember I edited mine yesterday when my install was successful. But I can't remember it and now I can't seem to get my machine to boot without the USB drive. That's why I want to know how you changed your boot.ini to be able to boot from the SSD.

thewildkid, Sep 23, 2008
  16. RaVeNSaNkHE

simbeb

# Once you’re done installing XP, you may notice that you are unable to boot into Windows from the hard drive. If you have the USB disk installed, again hit F9, and select the GUI option again. Windows should start. You’ll need to edit the boot.ini file:

1. Type “msconfig” into the run box in the start menu
    2. Select the BOOT.INI tab
    3. First, try the “Check All Boot Paths,” option. This may solve your problem by finding and removing the incorrect boot settings.
    4. You may also need to edit the boot.ini file manually if it doesn’t read something like ‘multi(o)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\Windows=”Windows XP Pro” /fastdetect’
    5. The most likely problem is that wrong partition is selected. It may say (0) or (2) or something like that. The steps below will show you how to backup and edit it.
    6. Open your System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties. Alternately, you could type “sysdm.cpl” into the run box in the start menu
    7. Select the Advanced Tab
    8. Click the Settings option under Star
    tup and Recovery
    9. Click the button that says Edit to open up your boot.ini file in Notepad. It’s a good idea to save a backup now by selecting Save As, and saving the file to a place where you won’t forget it.
    10. Now you can (somewhat) safely edit the boot.ini file, changing the partition number or other settings to more closely resemble the one I listed above. Save your file, and hopefully you’ll be able to reboot without your USB stick.

Extracted from http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/insta ... e-usb.html

Now, has anyone got a solution for my problem?

simbeb, Sep 23, 2008
  17. RaVeNSaNkHE

simbeb

Thank you so much RaVeNsaNkhE, I had eventually managed to find that out. I have passed that hurdle now, but can you help me getting through my next one? (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3952#p26370)

Cheers

simbeb, Sep 23, 2008
  18. RaVeNSaNkHE

RaVeNSaNkHE

My friend.... I went through your post and after reading that I had asked you to delete all partition.
    See if it helps.
    Let me know.... till then I am looking for alternatives.
    Regards.

RaVeNSaNkHE, Sep 30, 2008
  19. RaVeNSaNkHE

Fuerst

H, thanks for yr advice. But can you explain to me what is meant by the following lines? whicht directory do I have to select???

Thanks and kind regards
    Christian Fürst

Fuerst, Oct 6, 2008
  20. RaVeNSaNkHE

dbwebartist

From what I understand, you'll have to boot from the USB drive every time to start Windows. You can then take it out after booting. I was not able to edit the boot.ini enough times and get it to work. I even copied the exact text from the USB drive's bootable open and it still didn't work.

The BIOS sets the USB drive to drive C and then the internal hard drive to drive D and that in lies the problem. I'm working on a workaround for that too.

dbwebartist, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question