Easier searching?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by SLTE, Sep 3, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE

My Mac has a nice, easy tool for searching for files in Spotlight, and under normal circumstances I find it invaluable. That said, Spotlight has some rather extreme limits in that it doesn't search through a lot of applications and systems files. I'm not an extreme techy, but every now and then I want to search down specific applications folders, and Spotlight is no help at all.

I have another program installed that will search everything on my Mac, but it's a bit irritating to have to open it up every time. Does anybody know how to configure Spotlight to search every corner of my Mac? Or is this a hopeless cause?

EDIT - It occurs to me that this might fit better under software. Go ahead and shift it if you want, mods.

SLTE, Sep 3, 2015
  2. SLTE

IcyBC

I haven't use Spotlight to search. I am so new to this whole system, and can only tackle one thing at a time. You still KNOW more about Mac than me.

This is a question that would be so beneficial for me to learn too for the future.

IcyBC, Sep 4, 2015
  3. SLTE

jamesbonner

I been searching for you on google and I didn't find any alternative software that can do that, I don't know how to set it up to search in every corner because i'm not a mac user, so I just wish that someone can helps you :) good luck

jamesbonner, Sep 5, 2015
  4. SLTE

SLTE

For those who are interested, the program I currently use to search the deeper parts of my Mac is called Find Any File. It's freeware (though it occasionally asks for money), and it works pretty well in plumbing the depths of my Mac. It's especially nice in that it searches through Wine files and folders in addition to the usual stuff. I recommend it if you can't find something on your Mac.

Still, I'd love a way to use Spotlight on every corner of my Mac without having to pull up Find Any File every time. I bet there's a way to tinker Terminal into giving the proper results, but... no clue.

SLTE, Sep 7, 2015
    jamesbonner and Gurpreet Bhatia like this.
  5. SLTE

jamesbonner

thank you for mention that bro, I'm sure that we all gonna need this one day, I bookmarked this thread, incase I need it me or one of my friends.

jamesbonner, Sep 20, 2015
  6. SLTE

obliviousme

Thank you for the info. I'm sure this will come in handy, i'm getting myself a macbook soon so I'm sure I'm going to need this.

obliviousme, May 14, 2016
Ask a Question