DVD burning software + external dvd writer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by limerigger, Sep 20, 2008.

1. limerigger

limerigger

Looking for a DVD writer and software for my One. Primary use is to burn my digital images for backup, etc.
    Can anyone recommend software/hardware. Based in UK.
    Thanks, limerigger

limerigger, Sep 20, 2008
  2. limerigger

kevin

There are heaps of dvd writer utilities for Linux. The choice really comes down to whether you need a fancy GUI or are prepared to work at the command line. If you don't mind the command line, growisofs and dvdrecord are small, fast, and easy to get hold of. In principle, any USB DVD writer should work (although I can't promise that, of course :) )

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
  3. limerigger

tot31

You can try Brasero or K3B and for myself, I'm using Nero for Linux.

tot31, Sep 20, 2008
  4. limerigger

limerigger

Am a newbie to linux so a gui would be the easiest way at the moment. Will check out the suggestions tot31 gave and let you know.
    Many thanks. limerigger

limerigger, Sep 20, 2008
  5. limerigger

Demibeard

I've installed Gnome-baker as it was/is in the package manager and is a doddle to use.

As for the model of the external writer, I'm using a LG unit model number GE20, worked very well with the recovery DVD if you know what I mean ;)

Mind you I have seen a very nice hub powered unit (LG model GSA-E50N) now that would look good with my white AAO :)

Demibeard, Sep 20, 2008
  6. limerigger

DiSK

I used a Pioneer DVR-110R, I believe, in a drive enclosure...

Didn't work. I couldn't burn a data disk, or an iso. Sad for me.

DiSK, Sep 21, 2008
  7. limerigger

limerigger

Bought a Freecom external DVD RW Recorder from Tesco and installed the GnomeBaker package. Just wrote a Data DVD of my latest digital images - works fine.
    Thanks to all for advice and recommendations. Limerigger

limerigger, Sep 21, 2008
  8. limerigger

pablo2340

Has anybody tried the LiteOn ESAU208-16 8x Slim Ext. USB2 DVDRW + L/S Red with Linpus Linux on the AAO? I'd love to know if it works, as I expect it should - I have another Liteon DVD writer which works perfectly well to write CD-Rs (using K3B as the writing software, by the way).

*UPDATE*
    I bought the LiteOn Esau208-16 mentioned above, and am pleased to say it seems to work perfectly on the AAO with Linpus Linux: I have successfully played audio Cds from it, played an AVI file from it using VLC, burnt an Audio CD, and am in the process of burning a DVD-Video, which seems to be going well...
    The only thing I have not been able to try yet is its ability to burn LightScribe labels. For that I will initially try the SimpleLabeler program obtainable for Linux from www.lightscribe.com.

pablo2340, Dec 17, 2008
  9. limerigger

steven.chien

steven.chien, Dec 17, 2008
Ask a Question