dual monitors

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kyro, May 22, 2009.

1. kyro

kyro

hi,

i tried searching for this because im sure I read something about it on here. I tried to connect my A150 running ubuntu netbook remix to a a second monitor but when I do so parts of both screens become inaccessible (parts not displaying, parts that do display the mouse cant reach etc). I've tried pretty much all the different configurations of resolution but I can't seem to figure out how to get a nice and simple dual monitor setup in 16:9.

thanks.

kyro, May 22, 2009
  2. kyro

fweigel

I can't answer for ubuntu, but for linpus:

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (with "sudo mousepad")

Change to: Virtual 2048 1024
    Change to: Modes "1024x600" "1280x1024" "1024x760" "800x600" "640x480"

Restart the computer

To use single screen: xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x600 --output VGA off
    To use dual screen: xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768 --left-of LVDS --auto

Change left to right, and pick your size.

fweigel, May 23, 2009
  3. kyro

viva

This is not necessary for Ubuntu. I had dual monitors in 8.10 as well as in 9.04. It works out of the box. But keep in mind that the VGA port is not hot pluggable. Turn the computer off, connect the second display an turn it on again. It might work without doing this, but it could harm the computer's hardware. Use the system control panel to tune the dual display options.

viva, May 23, 2009
  4. kyro

fweigel

VGA not hot-pluggable? Um... yes it is.

But -- you may be correct in mode detection (but I haven't as yet had problems with that). Note that the ""Virtual" statement controls the maximum desktop size, and prevents the "inaccessible area" problem seen by the original poster. It may be the case that ubuntu does this at startup, thus giving the impression that VGA hotplug doesn't work.

Not being an ubuntu user, I can't comment further. I hotplug with linpus between (at least) two external monitors and a projector. However, it is't explicitly supported (desktop extending across monitors, or independent monitors) by acer.

fweigel, May 24, 2009
Ask a Question