Dual boot XP and linpus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gauravkittz, Aug 21, 2008.

1. gauravkittz

gauravkittz

i got the aspire one with xp preinstalled
    i need to dual boot it with linpus linux.
    i have an external cd rom drive.
    i'v tried searching the net but could'nt find any way...
    please help.

gauravkittz, Aug 21, 2008
  2. gauravkittz

KGB

If you are able to read German, just have a look here http://gborn.blogger.de/stories/1203062/

In brief, what I have done (quick-and-dirty - tested on a MSI Wind U100, should work on AAO A150X).

* Insert (at least a 4 GByte USB-Memory Stick as) a thumb drive into the USB-sockes.
    * Use the Acer Recovery DVD (with Linpus) to boot your AAO from the DVD-drive.
    * Install Linpus Lite on your USB-Stick (as far as I have seen, the installer isn't able to install on separate partitions on a hard disk - it uses /dev/hda or /dev/sda as destination).

* I used a partition manager like Partition Magic to shrink the Windows XP-Partition (I have had 10 GByte free space for linpus).
    * Then I launched the system with a Linux Live-CD (I used a Puppy-Linux) and launched gparted from Puppy.
    * Then I used gparted to copy both partitions from the USB-Stick to the free space on my hard disk.

Well, that's all. Because I won't struggle with MBR and boot-options in grub, I used the USB-Memoy Stick to boot. The /boot/grub/grub.conf file keeps already the right entries to search Linpus on hd0 using the volume level. As far as I haven't overseen something, this solution must solve the dual-boot issue.

Also it seems on a brief, that this viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1334&p=8946&hilit=grub+boot+menu&sid=04f5cbbd3bac6995c3f3263b186c13d1#p8946 solve also your issue

KGB, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question