Dual boot OSX with pre-existing XP as primary OS

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by harryj, Feb 20, 2009.

1. harryj

harryj

Hello
    Bit of a noob question, but I have an AAO (6 cell with XP) and wanted to add OSX. I'm comfortable with the installation instructions here for putting iAktos on my system, but wanted an opinion on this:

I repartitioned my HD so I have: the hidden XP reinstall partition, live XP partition, then a newly created 60gb OSX parition.

What would be the best way to keep my current XP partition and the reinstall partition but have OSX run with a boot menu as boot option #2? Preferably, I do not want to restore my XP partition, but I did make a copy with Ghost so worse case scenario, I can restore it.

Last question -- Assuming I have the hidden XP install partition backed up on an external HDD (norton ghost), what is the best way to do a full factory restore? I wish I had a Acer Aspire one boot CD rather than a hidden partition!

thanks for the help

harryj, Feb 20, 2009
  2. harryj

Thor316c

I think if I understand correctly, you have an XP partition, and you want to make an osx one? without destroying your XP one? I used partion magic to do that. Just make a fat32 partion, then as you install the OSX distro, instead of making a partition, erase that new partion and make it mac journaled extended.

Oh and if you want a "recovery" xp, get Ron's Tiny XP, has all the drivers and tweaks set for aa1, and i noticed you have a non-ssd aa1, so if you do get ron's, u must disable/remove the fan control software that starts up, it causes bsods for us.

Good luck!

Thor316c, Feb 22, 2009
  3. harryj

harryj

great. I'll give it a shot. imaging my disk now with hiren's boot cd (true image). i'll check our ron's mini xp too! thanks for your help

harryj, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question