Dual boot linpus & winxp on 8go ssd ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tamis, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Tamis

Tamis

Hi all :)

I'm the proud owner of an AAO with 8go ssd and 512 meg of ram (+ 4go extremeIII scandisk sdhc). I would really like to install winxp on top of linpus with a dual boot. The question is, is it doable ?

Will xp work with only 512mo of ram ? knowing that i will remove all that is not needed ?

How does the extension slot on the left work exactly ? Can it be used to put xp on it and leave xp on the ssd for example ?

Looking forward to read you guys !

Cheers.

Tamis, Jan 27, 2009
  2. Tamis

OneHead

Yes it's possible, but a little bit involved. The steps I did are as follows, you will have to work out the details yourself (it's all there if you Google it!):

1. Add RAM. You can add up to 1GB, but for me, 512MB was enough (total 1GB)
    2. Remove the swap partition in Linpus, with 1GB or more RAM you probably won't need it
    3. Tweak Linpus and remove anything you don't need (see macles.blogspot.com)
    4. Shrink the Linpus partition using GParted or similar to leave 4GB free on the SSD
    5. Install a boot manager
    6. Trim down an XP installation using NLite or similar
    7. Install XP on the free 4GB partition
    8. Tweak XP as usual, no pagefile etc.
    9. Keep all your data from both partitions on the SDHC
    10. BACKUP both partitions

Now you can choose which partition to boot into and you can easily transfer data files using the SD card.

OneHead, Jan 27, 2009
  3. Tamis

Tamis

Tamis, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question