Dual Boot : Linpus onto an XP based AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by knelly, Dec 31, 2008.

1. knelly

knelly

Would someone please explain (or point to) how to get both Linpus AND Windows XP on the Aspire One? Mine came with Windows and I would like the ability to dual boot. The LINPUS website was not helpful.

Thanks!!

knelly, Dec 31, 2008
  2. knelly

GvidoR

I want to do the same, but no one replied to my thread. :(
    Hope we can find the way.. :)

GvidoR, Dec 31, 2008
  3. knelly

IndyGunFreak

I'm not familiar w/ Linpus. However most distributions handle dual booting quite well, and I'm guessing Linpus would be no exception. My AAO came w/ Windows, but I nuked it and installed Ubuntu 8.10. My Main PC dual boots however, and its not difficult usually.

This might be a helpful link...
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Windo ... lBootHowTo

IndyGunFreak, Jan 1, 2009
  4. knelly

meng

I'd give another vote for Ubuntu 8.10 - it is very dual-boot friendly - note that I am not talking about the direct Ubuntu Netbook Remix install, that hogs the whole drive by default.

meng, Jan 1, 2009
  5. knelly

GvidoR

I'm guessing that it wouldn't be a big problem to get both operating systems dual booting but the real problem I have is that I don't have both of them installed. I have only Windows and unpartitioned space for Linpus Linux Lite. When I pop in the recovery DVD that came with my Acer, when I get to the "Select a partition" thing, it only allows me to do a full install (120 GB). I have to get it on a partition somehow. Can anyone help ? Any help would be appreciated. ;)

EDIT: Is backing up data, installing Linpus, shrinking the partition, installing windows the only way ? :(

GvidoR, Jan 1, 2009
  6. knelly

IndyGunFreak

Backup any important data on either the Linpus or XP partition

Assuming you still have your recovery partition, you shouldn't even need a CD for WIndows. Just boot the recovery partition and let it do its thing. It will restore the computer to how it was when you bought it, or you can do it w/ a CD (I don't think I received a Windows CD). Boot your Linpus installer, and run Linpus, using the installer to partition the drive and set it up however you want it. Once its done, it should put Grub on the mbr of the drive, and allow you to choose which OS to boot. Its been a few years since I've used Fedora(what Linpus is based on), but one of the few distros I had trouble dual booting, was Fedora 5. Grub always installed improperly, and I'd get Grub Errors and the machine would boot no further (Grub Errors 17, and 21), but thats been a few years, so hopefully things have changed.

I'd still recommend giving Ubuntu 8.10 a go, as its pretty user friendly and will run great on your AAO. I was also referring to the "normal" Ubuntu 8.10 that you download from ubuntu.com If you don't want to burn a CD of the Ubuntu ISO, and you have a thumb drive of at least 1gig, you can use it to boot and install Ubuntu. Download the Ubuntu ISO from ubuntu.com and use unetbootin on your Windows install to set up the thumb drive to boot Ubuntu.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

IGF

IndyGunFreak, Jan 1, 2009
  7. knelly

GvidoR

Ehh.. I might just do only Linpus because I like it better than Windows... ;)

GvidoR, Jan 1, 2009
  8. knelly

knelly

ttt

Can someone please help... This CAN'T be that hard.

knelly, Jan 3, 2009
  9. knelly

meng

Yes, I don't believe it is that hard. Here's a simple remedy:
    1. Search the forums for "dual boot linpus"
    2. This will take you to a thread that links to another website that provides step-by-step instructions for adding Windows XP to a Linpus machine. (I realise you are wanting to do it the other way round).
    3. So, what you could do first is just install Linpus on your machine, and use the recovery disc to add Windows back afterwards.

Can anyone else see a flaw in this approach??

meng, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question