Dual Boot - Boot Order. Does XP have to be on 0,0

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bigrd, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bigrd

bigrd

Hi folks,

I have Ubuntu 8.04.1 with Remix plus bluetooth working well on my netbook (120Gb, 512Mb). I replaced the Linpus with Ubuntu as mentioned but would like to dual boot with Win XP. My question is, is it mandatory for XP to be on the first partition e.g. 0,0?

My Ubuntu install is currently on 0,0 and I've partitioned my drive to add an NTFS partition for XP but my install fails with a Hall.dll error using the USB install. Is this because XP wants to use the 1st partition? I don't want to have to remove Ubuntu as it's working well.

bigrd, Oct 20, 2008
  2. bigrd

Mopeto

Try to put that hall.dll in the windows folder from ubuntu, then try again.

If not, you will need to have the xp partition first then Ubuntu.

If there a Easeus partitiono manager for linux?? That thing could change the partitions [Ubuntu to 0,1 and a new partition 0,0] without losing any data. Ah yes, the pro version let make a Live USB. Google that.

Mopeto, Oct 22, 2008
  3. bigrd

kaas

Windows can be installed on ANY partition and the partition it's on doesn't even need flagged as active/bootable. If you're getting a DLL error then that error is purely related to your Windows install and has nothing to do with partitions.

kaas, Oct 22, 2008
  4. bigrd

dj_steve

the way i did this was use gparted liv (google it ) to create a new partition for xp (DO NOT let windows setup create one) then set that partition as bootable (active) temporarily (xp complains if you dont) then setup xp etc as normal then go back to gparted and change the bootable tag back to linpus and setup grub as required to boot xp - as said above xp doesnt need to be on the first partition or anything like that, it just is a pain to install at first

dj_steve, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question