Dropbox Alternative?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by GearZ, Sep 18, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ

For a variety of reason, I am planning on working away from Dropbox. I am now in the process of trying out some alternatives. On that score, can anyone recommend a service that is similar in terms of feature set and will work on the major OSes (e.g., Windows, Mac OS X)?

Thanks much.

GearZ, Sep 18, 2016
  2. GearZ

Slenderman

SpiderOak has a reputation for being the geek-friendly alternative to Dropbox. It promises greater security and more features, and actually respects your privacy by encrypting your files before they reach their servers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
    Slenderman, Sep 18, 2016
  3. GearZ

clair02

You should try Sync.com or Tresorit. They are very secure alternatives to dropbox, according to a friend of mine. I personally have not used them as I'm happy with the service I'm currently using.

clair02, Sep 21, 2016
  4. GearZ

Aree Wongwanlee

Not really sure why you want to move away from Dropbox? Is it the latest scare about them losing the passwords to millions of accounts? I use Dropbox, plus OneDrive and Google Drive. Of the three, I found that Dropbox is the friendliest in terms of ease of use. If you insist on not using Dropbox, consider using OneDrive. You will get 15Gb free. It used to be 50Gb when it was launched. There are apps to auto-upload from your smartphone to OneDrive. There is also an app in Windows 10 to do the same for your laptop or desktop.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 21, 2016
  5. GearZ

Corzhens

I have weaned away from Dropbox when my storage requirement exceeded the 2 GB maximum. And avoiding an upgrade of subscription, I shifted to Google Drive which gave me 15 GB of free storage. Until now, Google Drive is my cloud storage which is very good as far as accuracy is concerned. However, I did not set it to auto update because sometimes my internet access is slow and it even goes slower when Google Drive is running. What I do is to run it once a day only to minimize internet usage.

Corzhens, Sep 21, 2016
  6. GearZ

Aree Wongwanlee

How come you have only 2Gb on Dropbox? There are so many ways to get extra storage for free. Just follow some of the tips given on the Dropbox site and you can easily double your storage. I use Google Drive, too, but I find that Dropbox is way ahead in terms of user-friendliness. For example, I can backup my Wordpress site to Dropbox with just one click. I can also set up to back up to Google Drive but the process is rather laborious.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 23, 2016
  7. GearZ

Corzhens

You are right, there are ways to increase the allocation of storage in Dropbox and one is as what you said about wordpress which I don't have. Another is by inviting someone to open a Dropbox account. However, I do not bother with such upgrades and I only avail of the basics to make my life simpler. So when I learned of Google Drive and had checked that it's good, I shifted my loyalty.

Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016
  8. GearZ

Aree Wongwanlee

I hope you are doing fine with Google Drive @Corzhens . I also use Google Drive. It works. However, in some cases, Google can be very finicky. It makes you jump through many hoops before you can get anything done.

Oh, by the way, inviting someone to use Dropbox is just one of the ways to increase your Dropbox storage. There are many simpler things like liking it on Facebook and Twitter. As you can see from this screenshot, I got most of my extra storage from doing things which are not related to referring friends. I have now got more than 50Gb of storage space on Dropbox. All free.
    [​IMG]

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 24, 2016
Ask a Question