Dress your Acer One mouse buttons

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by skroops, Sep 5, 2008.

1. skroops

skroops

I really like the one's touchpad, it is sensitive and responsive, but the odd placement of the mouse buttons and the lack of texture variation or any tactile sensation when feeling for the mouse button is killing me. Many touchpads use a slightly different surface for the buttons, or raise them slightly, add a bump or add a dimple to make it easier to feel for them.

So I endeavour to add some texture to the mouse buttons of the acer one. After a miniscule amount of concentration I have four requirements for the modification.

1. Must change the texture of the mouse buttons. Preferably this change will be slight, but just enough to feel where they are.

2. The material should not impede normal use, or make the buttons feel unnatural.

3. The modification should be asthetically pleasing. My One has a blue case and black keys, so either of these colors should be fine.

4. The mod must neither mar nor permanently damage the buttons. For such a simple mod it should be easily reversible in case of reselling etc. Additionally the material should be soft enough that it doesn't damage the screen. I was considering a nice piece of fine high-grit adhesive sandpaper but then realized that it would probably scratch up the screen.

So far I have been able to meet requirements #1 and #4 with the following mod. I am still trying to find something a little better for the material.

Required materials:

[​IMG]
    Scissors

[​IMG]
    Adhesive Bandage

Step 1:
    Cut a comfortably sized piece of the adhesive bandage, and place it on the mouse buttons.
    I used 3M Nexcare ActiveSport bandage.

[​IMG]

This was effective, but suffered from some draw backs:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's not very good looking. Also the bandage was a little too thick, and the mouse buttons required too much force to depress. So I peeled them up and cut them much much smaller, to try and achieve a home-keys style bump.

[​IMG]

This is much more comfortable and natural than before, but the material is still too thick, and it is still very ugly.

So now I will be on the look-out for a superior material for this mod. Anyone have a better suggestion?

skroops, Sep 5, 2008
  2. skroops

sbessel

not that I am impressed with the look of band-aids on the buttons :p but I very much like the direction you are going... I find myself loosing the buttons all the time.

Just for an idea... (as I would like to see this solved)

What about a anti-glare screen protector, I have seen some with a texture to them, just not sure where at this point.

Thanks,

Scott

(also replied to keep on my watch list)

sbessel, Sep 5, 2008
  3. skroops

Kraegor

May you could..

Do something like put small dots of superglue on the mouse buttons, and then cover them with a contact paper/film? This would give them texture and coolness.

Kraegor, Sep 8, 2008
  4. skroops

MrNiceguy

Superglue is probably a bad idea. It's too thin - It would run rather than form dots. Then imagine the disaster of superglue inside your case - in among the mouse buttons, no less.

I built a couple of RC airplanes back in high school, so I've worked with superglue a lot. A puddle of superglue will stay liquid for quite some time, but a thin layer that "wicks" between two items dries instantly.

I do have an idea, though. My daughter has a kit for making your own window clings, and I bet the paint for that would be perfect. Nice and thick, soft, and can be easily removed. Check a craft store. The tubes of plasticky fabric paint would probably work too.

MrNiceguy, Sep 9, 2008
  5. skroops

scalpel_ninja

IMHO, applying any glue or potential solvent to the surface of the buttons is risky. Maybe buy a PDA screen protector, trim it to the size of the buttons and then test out different materials on it. That way no matter what is tried, it can always be peeled off with no risk of damaging the paint. :)

scalpel_ninja, Sep 9, 2008
  6. skroops

dougsteele

dougsteele, Sep 10, 2008
  7. skroops

pdiddy

great post, great response conditions. we think alike.

This is going to be my stab at the problem. i was going to drape the one with paper and cut slits to expose the keys then use some spray adhesive aerosolized high enough for the mist to lightly dot the buttons. should be the same effect as the super glue suggestion with a little more even coverage and less spill risk.

pdiddy, Sep 10, 2008
  8. skroops

Biostem

Your best bet would be to mask around the mouse button you want to color w/ masking tape, then use either enamel model paint or nail polish to paint the mouse buttons. I like my mouse buttons being rather nondescript, as I prefer an external mouse, but I could understand someone wanting to do this...

Biostem, Sep 10, 2008
  9. skroops

woofer00

Interesting idea, OP. I actually had put strips of blue athletic tape (also called friction tape, cloth tape) on top of the mouse buttons so that I could find them easily since I find myself constantly rubbing on the vertical slider portion of the trackpad every time I overshoot the right mouse button. It raises the height, gives the button a bit of texture, and doesn't interfere with the actual touchpad. The raise in height doesn't bring it into range of the touch screen, although I'm still a bit concerned about the stuff possibly sliding around when the wrist rest area warms up during use.

woofer00, Sep 10, 2008
  10. skroops

pdiddy

i just noticed that there's a dead area on the sides of the trackpad that arent touch sensitive. i think that's where i may put my border texture instead of on the mouse buttons themselves which will get too much action for anything with adhesive to hold up very well.

pdiddy, Sep 11, 2008
  11. skroops

1ne

I ran accross the same problem. I was constantly overshooting the left click and hitting the touchpad instead, sending my cursor well off course. Luckily, our home business owns a vinyl cutter and I can use the scraps for whatever I want. So, I made up some buttons similar to what you all have been talking about. While I was at it, I added a scroll bar as well because I kept going too far right on the touchpad. It turned out great (I think at least ;) ) and make finding the buttons and scroll area tons easier.

I can post the file I used if anyone wants it.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

1ne, Sep 11, 2008
  12. skroops

alienmeatsack

Nice and clean 1ne, good job. How well do you think they will weather usage?

alienmeatsack, Sep 16, 2008
  13. skroops

zebek

What about that material that they make those e-grips out of, cut to size...it's black, bumpy, self adhesive and will look good....

Just a thought...

zebek, Sep 17, 2008
  14. skroops

bbkarn

I don't understand why this mod is necessary, just tap the touchpad instead of using the buttons.

bbkarn, Sep 17, 2008
  15. skroops

1ne

They are made out of 5yr outdoor vinyl like they use for signs and automotive decals, so they should hold up pretty well. The nice thing about vinyl is it's the same color all the way through. So, unlike paint, it will not wear through to some base color. My only concern is the corners peeling up. But since they are rounded, I'm confident that won't be a problem.

I do for the most part. But, from time to time I just like to use my left hand to click with. I do that a lot when I'm reading long webpages. It's subconscious, so I don't realize I'm doing it. That is, until I over shoot the button and my cursor goes flying accross the screen...

1ne, Sep 18, 2008
  16. skroops

DHowett

Or get those touchpad texture stickies and cut them to fit. Same concept as egrips.

DHowett, Sep 27, 2008
  17. skroops

liveccam

God..thats ugly!

liveccam, Oct 11, 2008
  18. skroops

mkmt

I cut out my used e-grips silver & pasted it. It works nicely & less noise from mouse button. The silver color blends well too. I'll post pic later.

mkmt, Nov 10, 2008
  19. skroops

mrslou

mrslou, Dec 23, 2008
  20. skroops

Pasta747

This is one of the dumbest posts I have seen

Pasta747, Dec 23, 2008
Ask a Question