Don't understand the whole BIOS problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ralphygarfield, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

I guess I'm going to be known around here as the guy who doesn't understand anything, but really, there are so many issues and things about the Aspire One which I've never even heard of about other computers. It's kind of making me wonder if the Aspire One is really a true computer at all.

Mainly I want to know, what is up with this whole BIOS thing? I've never heard of something like this happening with other computers. I don't understand why this is. The Aspire One is such a small and neat laptop, very unique, but it's also supposed to be a normal computer. But why does it seem like it has all these special needs? I fail to see how it being so small could equate to all these errors.

My point is, what is so special about the Aspire One that makes it so prone to these issues?

Or could it be that the Aspire One is just so popular that it only seems like these issues are happening on a mass scale? Perhaps these problems do happen to other computer and you just don't hear about them as much?

(PS - It sounds like this BIOS error has also happened to some friends of mine, who happen to be the people that got me interested in the Aspire One. I'm deathly worried that this error is all of a sudden going to happen to me. How can anyone be sure? It could happen in a week, in a month, or in sixth months. It could happen as soon as your warranty is finished! It just sounds totally bunk.)

ralphygarfield, Sep 29, 2008
  2. ralphygarfield

soleblaze

Most likely the aspire one was rushed and all the bugs weren't worked out. Everyone seems to be running over everyone else trying to get these to market first.

soleblaze, Sep 29, 2008
  3. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

My AA1 still runs fine but I'm still deathly scared here...

Do you think it's possible that Acer will release updates through Windows Update which will decrease the chance of the BIOS problem from happening?

I haven't done anything to my Aspire One, and I doubt I will. I'm still running the same Windows XP it came with.

But I do have BIOS vo.3114.

I'd upgrade the BIOS myself but I don't trust myself in doing it (not at all! - sounds waaayy too complicated) and I don't want to void the warranty.

Really, ATM I have perfectly good working computer, but I still think this whole situation sucks...

ralphygarfield, Sep 30, 2008
  4. ralphygarfield

Tamrac

I think the problem is when hibernating..... just disable this feature and you're safe, I think. BIOS updates do not void warranty.

Tamrac, Sep 30, 2008
  5. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

Can anyone confirm or add to this?

ralphygarfield, Sep 30, 2008
  6. ralphygarfield

soleblaze

It's never happened to me while I've hibernated.

soleblaze, Sep 30, 2008
  7. ralphygarfield

hmmwv

So what is this whole "BIOS thing" anyway?

I have the stock .3114 version and never noticed any problems while hibernating or sleep.

As long as computers have BIOS, there will be updates to fix bugs here and there, and I don't think any manufactuer is immued.

hmmwv, Oct 4, 2008
  8. ralphygarfield

scourdx

In the Bios 3.114 when you hibernate for long period of time, the computer won't turn on. Even if you shut it down and restart it, it still won't turn on. I update my bios to newest version and test the hibernation. It still run into issue like computer won't turn on. As I shut down and restart, it turn on. I think the new bios fix the boot up. I think it is worth updating unless you aren't going to use the hibernation mode for long period of time.

scourdx, Oct 4, 2008
Ask a Question