Don't even know how to get online.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by PaulH, Jan 8, 2009.

1. PaulH

PaulH

Hi, I have just received my Acer Aspire one with this Linus Linux in it. I am completely baffled how to start with it, getting on line just does not happen. I switched it on alongside my Orange livebox it found the box along with LAN-0 and LAN-1. I clicked Livebox connect and it did nothing. I phoned Orange and they have never heard of Linux! At least the Indian man I spoke to hadn't, all he could tell me was to press 1 on the back of the box and put in the security code. All done press connect - nothing. Back to browse - Server not found. Surely wireless connection should be simple - like me obviously! If no one can help I will have to fork out the price of the note book to get an expert to do it. If he has ever heard of this which looking to the future I forsee it going back to Amazon for some proper windows to be loaded. Am I too hard? I have read through the 'beginners' section and cannot find any help, they are not as beginners as me obviously. What beginner knows about BIOS and other complicated initials? Yes, that's how begginer I am! I know how to turn the pages on a real notebook! system, :evil:

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  2. PaulH

lklaus

Sure some people would like to be of help, but probably, me at least, don't know the functionality of an "Orange livebox". Is there something we could recognize, like WEP, WPA or anything more technical on how to setup a system with it (even a description for windows probably would help...)

Klaus

lklaus, Jan 8, 2009
  3. PaulH

markh

Hi, I have one of those! (Well, it's a Wanadoo livebox, but Orange took over Wanadoo, and I think the boxes have stayed pretty similar). It works fine for me. You need your network key for wireless - it's a long sequence of letters and numbers. Have you found the connection manager on your AAO (The computer icon bottom right). Use that to set up a connection to your livebox, including your network key.
    If you can't find your livebox in connection manager, then that probably means it's not set up for wireless, which is a bit of an issue, but we can sort it out I'm sure. There ought to be a set of 5 leds, and one is for wireless - see if it's on. If not, try digging out your CD for the livebox, and running the steps to set up a wireless connection.
    The only useful thing your tech support guy said (Orange tech support is terrible, unless you get a nice Irish chap on the phone) was to press 1 - that's the button on the box to go into pairing mode, which I find mine sometimes needs. Just press it for a blinking wireless light, and that helps get a connection (goodness knows why).
    If you get nowhere, ask again (with as much detail on your livebox as your can).

Klaus, the stupidly-named "Livebox" is a modem/router with wireless, from Orange.

markh, Jan 8, 2009
  4. PaulH

PaulH

Hi Markh (My son's name)? Thank you for that help so far, I have done everything, yellow light to indicate wireless on the Acer, full security code in capitals with no spaces. 1 pressed on the livebox, which is a modern one that resembles a white pyramid with 4 leds on the top. Nothing, it throws up a box saying 'the network connection has been disconnected' after trying.
    Questions What is the Access point (SSIDD), I take it the Encryption type is WPA & WPA2 Personal. How do you get the IP address (Although it probably does that all automaticaly). I could have the Connection name wrong, I put livebox???
    I am very greatful for your advice:?
    Paul

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  5. PaulH

markh

Starting from the very start, because it's always best:

On your AAO, left click on network manager icon, select connection manager. Click new, select Wlan, next. Click select, choose (hopefully) the correct wifi signal. (If you're not sure what it is, try the steps in the paragraph below, which take you to a screen with the SSID on). Select WPA&WPA2 Personal (hopefully - that's the default I believe). Enter the security key. Next. Give it a name (this is irrelevant). Tick connect after finish. Finish. Use the 1 key on the livebox to get it pairing. Cross fingers. The icon ought to give a little connecting circle, then report success.
    If you later go to edit the connection, you will see a TCP/IP page - just leave it on automatic.

If this doesn't work, go to have a look at the router settings. (All that follows is dependant on your set up being similar to mine, which I believe it should be). Just use your desktop, or your AAO connected by wire. You may have a "configure the livebox" icon on your desktop's desktop, in which case use that. If not, open a browser (explorer, firefox, etc) and put http://192.168.1.1 in. This ought to connect you to your livebox. Click access to the configuration pages, and give the username and password. If you've never messed with this, they ought to be "admin" and.... "admin". Secure, huh? Change them asap. Click security and wireless connection on the left, and check that you've got the right key, and that wireless is enabled. Then configuration, advanced, wireless, and check what encryption is being used. Switch it to WPA if necessary. You can also find the name of your connection here. Retry the AAO with the settings you've now discovered. Cross fingers, etc etc.

If all that doesn't work, I might be stumped, but report back and someone ought to be able to help.

markh, Jan 8, 2009
  6. PaulH

PaulH

Sorry, I get as far as the WLAN select and get Livebox-BOA8 which is probably the right one and there are another 3 (One being Ian)! The Livebox has all the green boxes filled but like all of the others it has a padlock on it? Looking in the less than useless Application manual I see that some of the ones in there have padlocks as well. Does this mean that I will have to use the repair disc, needless to say I can't see what padlocks do other than stop you going further. I really appreciate your help. :x

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  7. PaulH

PaulH

It'sthese silly padlocks, I am almost there but when it is searching it throws up a box requiring WLAN password. I'm putting in the password that I did on receiving it (the one I always use) and it's not having it. I would give my arm for an ordinary windows system now!!!

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  8. PaulH

whyay

Padlock means that it is a secured wifi connection. Edit this connection on your AA0 and choose WPA Personal and enter the password there. It is not accepting your password, because you do not provide right information about your network.

whyay, Jan 8, 2009
  9. PaulH

PaulH

YES. Thanks you so much markh and whyay, I am now on line, without your help the notebook would be on the lawn! I can now get on and play. Once again thank you and happy new year Paul. :D

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  10. PaulH

david-one-uk

PaulH.

I read your OP and planned to post the following. I am pleased you got it working.....
    I'm still posting this though, because I DO feel quite strongly about what I what going to say had you not managed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I feel for you. It's a nightmare.

I'm hoping someone will sort you out. What I can tell you is that 2 of my work colleagues bought Asus eee pcs and failed to connect to Orange. Sadly, despite hours of fiddling (and one with pro support) neither ever got the wi-fi going. One sold her Asus on ebay and the other uses a hardwired network cable to the router.

Now, this sounds gloomy and the Acer is a different machine but both run a version of Linux and it is early days for us all.

My local PC company (sell and maintain mainly business PCs and networks) are only selling the XP Acer at the moment.....they have a 100% success rate with this version for wi-fi.

Mine connects to a netgear router with the right order of re-setting the wi-fi on both AAO and router. But it's a pain.....

I'm sure you WILL get it working. Personally, if I'd NOT managed to get wi-fi, I'd have taken it back.

I also hope I get shot down and told to stop being so pessimistic. Sadly, Acer are sellling these AAO with linux and successful connection to wi-fi is NOT guaranteed.......

Let's face it, for most of us, these are 2nd or 3rd machines bought entirely with the intention of surfing wi-fi. If you can't do this, it's not fit for purpose and you would be within your rights to change it, regardless of what the retailers say.

david-one-uk, Jan 8, 2009
  11. PaulH

PaulH

Hi David-one-uk, Thanks anyway for your interest, I will try and persevere for a while and see how it goes, I think that my problem was that it didn't believe my password, despite it being the correct, one so I changed it and set it all up again and it worked. The assistance that I have received has been fantastic, I have not done much blogging and am very impressed, there are lots of nice people in the world. I have even realised what Ian meant, a wifi that I could have used, it's the bloke down the road! Once again, thanks. Paul
    :) www.paul-hurley.co.uk

PaulH, Jan 8, 2009
  12. PaulH

meng

It's wonderful that david's company has a 100% success rate with wireless on the Acer XP, but a quick browse of this forum will show that many users have trouble with wireless connections in Windows too. My own experience with a Linux install (UNR) has been positive overall, admittedly not hassle-free. I don't discount the value of being able to connect to one's home network, with various security measures (encryption, hidden SSID, MAC restriction, etc.). For me, though, the "real" value of the netbook is being able to take it to the library or other free wireless hotspots, that are much easier to connect to (no encryption).

Should Acer be putting more effort into making the One work better with Linux? Certainly. And with Windows? From what I read here, yes again (but I don't much care for Windows, so I can't speak from personal experience). But I have no reason to complain about a machine that does exactly what I need it to do, including connecting to wireless networks.

meng, Jan 8, 2009
  13. PaulH

markh

Glad it all worked for you. You're probably going to run into some other stuff with linux, but persevere. I had zero linux experience prior to buying my AAO, and now I'm a convert. Just use the nice search box for any problems, and then ask if need be.

markh, Jan 8, 2009
  14. PaulH

PaulH

Thanks Markh, I will persevere, I've already come across some glitches that I will have to read up on, I transfered some files over onto the desktop and when I open it they are there, a second later they disapear into the ether! I will work at it till it is right. I've never used wifi before not to mention Linux but I'll get there in the end. Thanks again for your help. Paul

PaulH, Jan 10, 2009
  15. PaulH

stevebasnett

Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem - using my English purchased Aspire One in France on a Wanadoo/Orange Livebox.

I've been through all the suggestions in the history of this post without success, and all I can think of now is that the differences in a French keyboard to English might be the issue for the Key? I mean, what I'm typing in correctly as the Key using an English keyboard is not recognised by the Livebox (a couple of characters here and there) because the [ASCII?] coding or whatever is different for some of the French keyboard outputs?

A bit of a long-shot, I know, but can anyone confirm either way if this could actually be the problem?

Thanks,
    Steve.

stevebasnett, Oct 21, 2009
Ask a Question