Done with 7, now how do I get rid of the dual boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Ripcordaff, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Ripcordaff

Ripcordaff

Alright, I am done playing around with 7. I had a partition on my AA1 dual booting with XP, and I used to get a screen when I booted that had Windows 7 and "Earlier version of windows". Now I deleted the 7 partition, and expanded my XP partition back out, but I am still getting that boot screen. In XP, when I go into control panel--system--startup, my boot.ini is as follows

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Is there a way I can get rid of that screen? I am not sure that this boot.ini is the one even controlling it b\c it lists "xp home edition", whereas my boot selection screen has "windows 7" and "earlier version of windows"...

Any help would be greatly apprecitated!

Reed

Ripcordaff, Mar 10, 2009
  2. Ripcordaff

ronime

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD or CD image on USB and start the Recovery Console. Then execute the FIXMBR command. This should restore the XP boot loader. You are still using the Win7 boot loader.

ronime, Mar 10, 2009
  3. Ripcordaff

DynaMight

You have the Vista/Win7 boot loader BCD installed instead of the WinXP boot loader. The Win7 boot loader is better/more functional than the WinXP one, although it doesnt make much difference on a single boot system :) but you can easily change the settings through a program called EasyBCD, you can even re-install the WinXP boot loader through this application too.

DynaMight, Mar 10, 2009
  4. Ripcordaff

Ripcordaff

I used EasyBCD, and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help!! :D

Ripcordaff, Mar 10, 2009
Ask a Question