Dolphin / D3lphin / Network Shares

Discussion in 'Linux' started by millimole, Jun 27, 2009.

1. millimole

millimole

Aspire one running Linpus Lite (and no desire to change that!) / Competence level = Newb (but willing to try!):
    I have been using Dolphin to access my home network shares, but due to some local stupidity on my part I've had to do a re-install, and I can only find D3lphin which when I run it will not allow me to access the network - it just gives me a "malformed URL" error - searching seems to indicate an issue with KDE (?) which causes this error.
    I'm sure I was previously using Dolphin (as opposed to D3lphin) - but I cannot find an RPM which will both install and run on my AspireOne.
    I gather that Nautilis would give me the same functionality - but again it's a case of finding a version that will install & run.
    All advice gratefully received (except changing from Linpus Lite!)

millimole, Jun 27, 2009
  2. millimole

solpuerto

solpuerto, Jul 5, 2009
  3. millimole

rbil

You can establish a network connection to a Windows share from a terminal. Below is an example:

1) Create a mount point for the share, example: test

2) In a terminal do:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<username>,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.1.201/160GB_FAT /mnt/home/test

<username> = Windows user name
    workgroup= whatever your workgroup name is on Windows box
    IP ... adjust for your situation and the directory being shared

Contents should then show up in your "test" directory.

Cheers.

rbil, Jul 8, 2009
Ask a Question