Does this seem like a good deal?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Lun, May 26, 2015.

1. Lun

Lun

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/hp-15-lap...-dos-black-english-arabic-keyboard-6774078/i/

That's equivalent to $230.
    I'm completely unfamiliar with AMD's CPUs and I don't know how well that CPU is going to perform, if possible could someone tell me which Intel CPU would be an equivalent of it?

As for the OS, I can easily install windows, no big deal. I don't need too much HDD space so I reckon 500 GB would be more than enough for my current purposes. I only need this for college and light gaming, is it sufficient?

If possible I'd also like to get an opinion of this one too:

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/lenovo-id...inch-500gb-2gb-ram-windows-8-black-7367062/i/

~$175
    My only issue with this one is the fact that I don't know if I can upgrade the RAM. 2 GB is too small nowadays. Also I had a netbook about 5 years ago, which had numerous issues including battery life and heating, so it makes me kinda skeptic since it's so cheap too.

Appreciate any help.

Lun, May 26, 2015
  2. Lun

Connie858

I would be seriously suspect about the first machine. The Intel Celeron n2810 processor is not really that good. Have a look at this benchmarking website
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N2810+@+2.00GHz

I don't actually know if it is capable of running windows! It probably could, but the RAM would be the least of my concerns there. The machine is specced out to run DOS and it will do that quite happily. It is not specced for Windows.
    Windows 7 came with minimum specs of 1Gb RAM for 32 bit and 2Gb RAM for 64 bit.
    Windows 7 has a minimum spec of 1Ghz for its processor. Having checked, that processor does meet the minimum requirements, it is a 2GHz processor. Personally I still would not want to be putting windows onto that machine if I was to be doing anything other the browsing the internet and reading email. It will not do light gaming.

As for the 2nd one, well it is a netbook as you say. It is again an old processor and with only 2Gb RAM. It is not likely it can take more. Netbooks have a very limited use and life and to be honest, are dying a death. Their best use now is for cycle touring to connect to the internet when in a campsite.
    You most certainly will not be light gaming on it unless the game is a small simple html webpage. They are really browsing the internet, email and light typing, nothing more.

Connie858, May 30, 2015
  3. Lun

Lun

Hmmm, there are some reviews that said they actually managed to install and run W7 64 bit perfectly though. But seeing the benchmarking is a real turn off, so I guess I'll avoid this one. As for the Netbook, I guess you're right. It's too cheap to make something of real practical use.

I think I'll just spend an extra $200 and get a decent one rather than give myself headaches with all these suspicious laptops. Also, thanks for the website. I didn't know I could easily compare CPUs like that, will definitely come in handy.

P.s. I noticed I said something about an AMD CPU. It was actually about a similar laptop, but it had an AMD CPU instead. I had the two tabs open and mixed them up. Anyway it's the same price so I should expect the same performance.

Lun, May 30, 2015
  4. Lun

Connie858

AMD is another manufacturer of processors. So Intel's main competitor in the laptop/desktop/netbook/server field. They are roughly similar, though AMD has tended to lag behind on the processor field, so yes, you can expect a similar performance or slightly less.

Connie858, May 30, 2015
  5. Lun

superbobby

So does that mean that Intel is better than AMD? Is Intel i7 worth it or is i5 enough?

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  6. Lun

Connie858

Its borderline and totally dependant on which 'field' they are in when comparing them. Intel don't imo make good graphics cards, AMD do. AMD processors tend to be a touch behind because they are a different architecture and Intel push the latest tech all the time. Are Intel processors any better? I have had both and not really noticed a huge difference to be honest. AMD just tend to be the cheaper processors, so its a make your own mind up. Why are they cheaper? Slightly slower could mean more R&D gone into it before it is released, it could also mean less R&D gone into the field but because the processors are not interchangeable, you can't upgrade an AMD processor with an Intel one because the CPU socket is different (and in the case of laptops usually welded on to the motherboard anyway) you cant really compare them in a like for like situation. Being cheaper could also mean that they are more stable and less prone to errors (which can cause crashes). But there is one continual things that comes out, AMD processors tend to be in the much cheaper end of the market. If you want the latest and best and most up to date, then it does tend to restrict you to Intel processors. Just the way things are and have been for a while.

Connie858, May 31, 2015
  7. Lun

superbobby

Thank you for your reply. I will go with Intel then.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
Ask a Question