Does the Netgear SC101 NAS work with linux?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Kevan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Kevan

Kevan

Hi

I just purchased a Netgear NAS SC101. I was hoping I could use it a common networked drive to store and swap files between my A1 Linpus and my old desktop P4 XP machine that has now run out of disc space. However, I just discovered that the SC101 is not Linux compatible. I clearly didn’t do my research on this before I purchased, it was a quick purchase, too much of a barging to turn down, or so I thought at the time.

Is it possible to get it working so my A1 Linpus can access it?

PS, Im a beginner with Linux.

Cheers Kev

Kevan, Apr 28, 2009
  2. Kevan

harrkev

As far as I know, no it cannot.

If you buy new one, be sure to get one that you can mount to windows WITHOUT drivers. If you can do that, then it uses plain old SMB, which Linux can handle via the Samba packages.

At home, I use a D-Link DSM-G600 -- one of the very first network drive products. It still works, although the fan is getting noisy. My only complaint is that it is SMB only, even though it has Linux inside. It would be nice if it also supported NFS. Oh well, you can get these for well under $100 now. It is very slow by today's standards.

If you buy a new one, check out this site first for reviews:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

harrkev, Jun 17, 2009
Ask a Question