Does installing XP on the SDD Cause Long Term Problems?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by geoffrey2008, Jul 8, 2009.

1. geoffrey2008

geoffrey2008

I think I read something about this before on the 8GB SDD models.

My girlfriends computer originally came with Linux and I installed XP on it using an external ODD. It worked OK and then there was a problem with the webcam so I done an OS reinstall to XP again but this time used a USB memory stick and everything worked OK.

About 2 months down the line it kept trying to do a chkdsk on boot. Then it said there were errors on the disk.

I eventually sent it back to Acer and pretty decent of them it went last Friday and it was back today.

I'm just wondering if I install XP on it again is this likely to happen or will I just keep that bastardised version of Linux on it. :lol:

geoffrey2008, Jul 8, 2009
  2. geoffrey2008

geoffrey2008

Anymore advice on this?

geoffrey2008, Jan 14, 2010
  3. geoffrey2008

Jon27

I have this EXACT problem and it does my head in.

Most recently, my XP Acer Aspire One BSOD'd after I skipped the phantom chkdsk and I did what I had the last BSOD, which was to return to last working settings... but it booted into 800x600 res with dreadful graphics quality and x16 colours. I managed to get 32-bit colour but the res is locked, despite showing one higher option, the slider won't move. Also, my device manager has gone whoopsy. The 945 Express Chipset is showing twice on the dvcmngr, with both having a :!: next to them, the error shown is "The device cannot start" (well obviously that's wrong since the chipset not starting means POST failure) and one of the Hyperthreaded 'Cores' of the Atom N270 CPU was showing, for the first three boots up to today (but not today :?: ) was also showing this.

I'm pretty annoyed at this, it seems to have corrupted AVira AV, so the guard status is simply GUARD: unknown, and I'm sort of paranoid surfing at the moment. I think I can trace all these issues back to one of two things: The long-standing phantom chkdsk - which, according to the registry, isn't there - seems to be the fault of a logical error on the SSD? And also the BSOD may be related to my uninstallation of AVG AV and/or the installation and full scan with AVira. EEEP.

PS, there was another problem worth noting. All of the onboard SD, xD, SD/MMC and other card readers stopped working some time before the BSOD, first asking for a driver "jmcr.sys" which I found in my WINDOWS\system\drivers folder, just sitting there, but failed to install quoting it could not access the file. I had to use the found new hardware wiz in Device Manager to reinstall the 4 instances of jmcr. Some say jmcr can become infected with viruses but I scanned it with AVG and AVira and they show nothing, so ... idk.

I believe all these issues come from the faulty logic on the JMicron 8GB SSD.

Jon27, Feb 8, 2010
  4. geoffrey2008

Tamrac

I still have my AAO A110 running on XP SP3.... And it's about 1 1/2 yrs old right now. Still working without a hitch. So I don't think XP will hurt the SSD, as long as you turn off unimportant disk activities. The most major being the swap file. Turn that off, all browser caches etc etc.... All these tips are on the XP section in this forum. Cheers.

Tamrac, Feb 9, 2010
Ask a Question