Does file system affect power usage?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bailout, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bailout

bailout

I am gearing up to reinstall linux on my netbook. I currently have unr 9.04 but one thing that annoys me about it is that it is much more power hungry than the Acer supplied Linpus lite distro or windows xp. This results in shorter battery life.

Obviously Linpus was tweaked specifically for the netbook and there are many factors that could affect power usage but one major difference is that Linpus used ext2 rather than ext3. This might just be a hangover from the ssd models that needed a non-journaling fs to prevent excessive wear.

However, I wondered whether the use of ext2 is part of the reason for the lower power usage and hence longer battery life?

bailout, Dec 13, 2009
  2. bailout

Grim Squeaker

Possibly. Never tested it though- I installed UNR 9.10 on ext 2 for the reasons stated (+ that journalling slows the system down. Yes, you can disable journalling under ext4 - but ext4 is unproven).

Grim Squeaker, Dec 17, 2009
Ask a Question