does AOD 255 Android support USB Wifi?

Discussion in 'Android' started by ray99, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ray99

ray99

Hi All,

Would anyone know whether the pre-installed Android OS in the 255 supports the use of a USB wifi adapter (instead the computer's built-in wifi adapter) ? Or would you know how to get it to work? (I haven't tried it yet because I have not yet bought the computer.)

Thanks!

ray99, Feb 18, 2011
  2. ray99

ray99

Same question for the Aspire One Happy. Thanks!

ray99, Feb 18, 2011
  3. ray99

ray99

Correction: in my post "instead" should, of course, read "INSTEAD OF"

ray99, Feb 18, 2011
  4. ray99

donec

I don't know for sure but it seems to me that it could not support a wifi adapter other than the one built into the computer. The reason I say this is that I believe the Android OS built into the computer is installed on a chip and can't be changed. This means there would be no way to add the drivers needed for a third party wifi adapter to the chip.

donec, Feb 18, 2011
  5. ray99

bapiah

Sorry donec, cannot answer that yet because still looking for AOD255 recovery image while none of images I found compatible with AOD255 (I bought one without OS because I don't like Windows Starter Edition), but... when I tried Android 1.6 on my friend AOA150 it does support and recognize Flash Drive as SDCard.

Well, that's better using Flash tho, for most of netbooks produces hotter temperature than notebook, so our SD Card won't be fried up :D.

bapiah, Feb 20, 2011
  6. ray99

donec

Did you load Android 1.6 on the hard drive of the AOA150? If so then the reason the AOA150 recognized the flash drive is because the driver for the AOA150 is older and was likely included in the Android 1.6 OS. However! that does not mean it would recognize a wifi USB adapter in that USB port. But if you load it onto the hard drive then you may be able to find drivers and add them to the hard drive also, but if you are running Android from a chip then you can't add to the chip AFAIK.

donec, Feb 20, 2011
  7. ray99

ray99

Hi Donec,

Thanks for your info. Could you tell me more about how to add drivers to a hard-drive installation of Android? What folder(s) should I copy the drivers to? I'm somewhat of a novice and would appreciate any details you can provide. Thanks again!

ray99, Feb 21, 2011
  8. ray99

donec

I am sorry that I don't have much knowledge on Android. However! I suspect it would not be much different than with Linux.

donec, Feb 21, 2011
  9. ray99

bapiah

firstly, I'm sorry... I was in hurry and wrongly direct the answer to you, donec. It was for ray and.. I read it wrong I thought ray mentioned about USB drive instead of USB Wifi. But I'm totally agree with you donec, I doubt android will support many periperals as other OS do.

About how I ran Android I tried both live from Flash Drive and installed it on hard drive of AOA150.

bapiah, Feb 22, 2011
  10. ray99

bapiah

I'm afraid it'd not easy to add drivers in, ray99. I saw Android's terminal and seems it uses older linux's system, means less folders there than on other linux. I even can't find ordinary boot config such as lilo or grub anywhere.

So if I may suggest just find the installer that known compatible with our computer spec, ray. Except you wanna join the developer groups, of course :).

BTW, wondering why does AOD255 or Happy need USB wifi while there's build-in wifi already, ray99?

bapiah, Feb 22, 2011
Ask a Question