Does anyone still use Desktop Gadgets?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by typist88, Dec 16, 2015.

1. typist88

typist88

Am I totally archaic in using these cute but helpful things that sit on my desktop? I've grown so attached to them and wonder if anyone else uses them? Post a screen shot of what you use! In the last Windows 10 update, they disappeared again and it took a while to figure out how I could get them back. I tried various things but eventually it was a reinstall that fixed it. Thank goodness! I kind of rely on the simple little calendar to tell me what day it is! I didn't realize how much I did until it was gone. I felt so lost for a few days. LOL. Also, I love the moon app; how else would I know when it's a full moon or new moon? :)

Attached Files:

typist88, Dec 16, 2015
  2. typist88

IcyBC

I have my gadget icons on the bottom of my screen on my MacBook laptop! I use calendar and note more often than other things. All of these gadgets came with my laptop and I just don't know enough to tamper with them.

IcyBC, Dec 16, 2015
  3. typist88

typist88

Oh right I think I know what you're talking about. It's the different format from Windows vs. Mac. But that's neat anyways. I'm not too familiar with Mac's but have seen a friend use it once and there are lots of sweet features and apps. I've haven't made the switch yet though. Perhaps maybe one day :)

typist88, Dec 17, 2015
  4. typist88

Sefie

Back when i used Windows 7 I totally loved their weather gadget! I always placed it on the top right corner :) It was awesome, I wish they still had that one, sadly they no longer do (not that I know of). Oh yes, I wasn't happy about the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

Sefie, Dec 18, 2015
  5. typist88

djtech

Well I only use the sticky notes. And I do miss those amazing gadgets especially the weather gadget. I even thought of doing this to get gadgets back: http://www.howtogeek.com/178869/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8.1/

But, then I kind of realized I needed only sticky notes. But, after seeing your desktop, I think I am going to get gadgets back :)

djtech, Jan 21, 2016
  6. typist88

nytegeek

Gadgets were actually introduced in Longhorn. They disappeared along with a lot of other performance degrading under used eye candy with the release of Windows 8.

nytegeek, Jan 22, 2016
  7. typist88

Lun

I used to get very comfortable with my desktop but after a lot of upgrading that required me to set it up from the start all over again, I just kept telling myself, "What's the point? Too much work for too little gain." lol. Also the gadgets take up CPU time and RAM slots, and I need every little bit I need when playing games because my CPU isn't all that powerful and my RAM is pretty low in capacity by today's standards (4 GB).

Lun, Jan 23, 2016
  8. typist88

nytegeek

Are you claiming that 4 is the standard or that it is low compared to the standard? Neither would be entirely accurate to be honest.

nytegeek, Jan 25, 2016
  9. typist88

vinaya

I used to have couple of gadgets on my desktop, however, I have stopped using them. My working files are always on desktop. Usually I have over a dozen working files on my desktop, thus, I removed my gadgets. However, I have some gadgets on the task-bar.

vinaya, Jan 26, 2016
  10. typist88

Lun

I meant 4 is low compared to the standard for a gaming computer. I think we can both agree that 4 GB is just not enough anymore. Most of the newer games specify a recommended memory capacity of 6+ GB.

Lun, Feb 11, 2016
  11. typist88

djtech

4 GBs is not enough. I recently realized that sometimes even 8 isn't enough. I seriously consider using a much lighter OS,. but the problem is that only Windows plays all the games that I really love to play.

djtech, Feb 18, 2016
  12. typist88

Ishmael

I've tried them once, but then I didn't care anymore. I have my smartphone for every "gadgets" I might need. :p

Ishmael, Feb 23, 2016
  13. typist88

Corzhens

Huh, I thought it is the hardware gadget. I'm still using the mouse, the one with the cord, with my laptop. I just can't seem to be at home with the track ball or whatever you call that square in the center. And instead of adapting to the laptop's mouse, I just attached a real mouse from the desktop that made life easy for me. And I'm not the only one using that desktop mouse because some of my colleagues have the same reason as mine.

Corzhens, Feb 23, 2016
  14. typist88

rz3300

I cannot say that I have heard of or thought about a desktop gadget in about ten years. I remember back in the day when having the post it note thing was big. I think that was when the first Apple computers started coming out. I guess that just really shows my age more than anything.

rz3300, Feb 24, 2016
  15. typist88

djtech

Aah yes. The good ol' days when post it notes on the desktop were a thing. I still use them sometimes, though back then they were really in fashion.

djtech, Mar 1, 2016
  16. typist88

fcuco

I still used the one that shows you how much RAM you are consuming on Windows 7, it was the only useful one since I had very limited RAM on that desktop and had to keep how many applications and browser tabs I used under control. I remember the Vista ones crashing all the time and being one of the first things that you would disable on a new installation

fcuco, Mar 15, 2016
  17. typist88

djtech

Oh, I use the thing that Speedfan offers. But, I do miss the desktop gadgets, I wonder why they removed them in the first place?

djtech, Mar 15, 2016
  18. typist88

SirJoe

The only thing that I still use is sticky note, it comes in hand when you just want to keep a note or something but don't want to open notepad for this. I generally don't like having to many things on my desktop because it slows down the computer.

SirJoe, Mar 16, 2016
  19. typist88

CasualGoofy

I didn't know they had more than ten gadgets. By the time I did notice the feature, they took down the page already. So I couldn't add anything nifty like the moon phase gadget. I used to use the weather gadget till it gave me this error "cannot connect service".

CasualGoofy, Mar 16, 2016
  20. typist88

djtech

Yeah, I have never got used to using one note. I just use sticky notes, even on windows 10 because I have sort of ADHD and need to remember stuff the moment I minimize the browser.

djtech, Mar 17, 2016
Ask a Question