Does anyone have smooth SD and 720p playback?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c-m, Feb 18, 2009.

1. c-m

c-m

I have the 120GB HDD Linux version of the AAO.

I have installed a clean copy of Ubuntu and installed the VLC and medibuntu (for media).

Standard definition xvid plays back fine on the internal screen, but when hooked up to my 1650x1050 monitor, I notice tears and an occasional pause every 10 seconds or so.

I've read many reports about people being easily able to play back 720p content on the AAO, yet every 720p file I have tried to open is completely unwatchable. i.e the video will update a scene just once every 4 seconds or so, meaning I end up with sound but just a bunch of stills.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

c-m, Feb 18, 2009
  2. c-m

c-m

I guess not then.

I have installed the SVN version of Mplayer with SMF skin and it fairs better, but still all 720p content is too slow.

For those who can play 720p content how have you done it.

c-m, Feb 20, 2009
  3. c-m

Ranger Wolf

I'm not sure if this works with Ubuntu, but most people will use the CoreAVC codec to decode .h264 720p videos. instead of useing video hardware to decode, it uses cpu. on the aspire one, its enough to watch the videos very nicely :)

just remember its not a free codec

Ranger Wolf, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question