Does anyone have a working Grub2 menuentry for OSX?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by scirocco, Dec 20, 2009.

1. scirocco

scirocco

I have Win 7, OSx86 (iPC), and Ubuntu loaded onto my AAO. I installed Win7 and OSX first and darwin allowed me to boot into either OS without any problem. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and Now I can boot into Ubuntu & Win 7 just fine, but if I try OSX I see the Darwin loader flash a bunch of text on the screen which unfortunately goes blank before I can read any of it. The device is locked up at this point and I have to force power it down to get it started again. The OS prober finds and creates an entry for OSX in the grub.cfg, but it is obviously not all that it needs to be... Can someone that is using Grub2 to boot into OSX please post the menuentry they have so that I can compare it to what was created by default by Ubuntu?

scirocco, Dec 20, 2009
  2. scirocco

scirocco

I was able to get OSX to boot via grub 2. I copied the os-prober section of the grub.cfg into /etc/grub.d/40_custom so that I could customize the menuentry. I set the os-prober script to non-executable so that it didn't duplicate the menu entries. I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom, adding "multiboot /boot" right after "set root=(hd0,3)", and commenting out everything below that. This is the what my menuentry looks like without the comments:

#Mac OS X (on /dev/sda3)
    menuentry "OSx86" {
    insmod hfsplus
    set root=(hd0,3)
    multiboot /boot
    }

When I select OSX from the grub menu I get a brief screen showing a multiboot menu for ~2 sec, then the darwin bootloader shows up and I can start OSX from there. Ideally I would like OSX to start automatically from the grub menu, so I need to figure out how to autostart OSX from darwin (still have a windows option since I installed that first) and remove the timer so it starts right away. I also have to figure out how to skip the multiboot menu screen. I see a lot of "chainloader +1" postings but I am not sure how that is different from "multiboot". If anyone can tell me which is the better option I would appreciate it. For now I have a working triple boot system that I can play around with...

scirocco, Dec 22, 2009
Ask a Question