Do you use password to lock your laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Jul 22, 2016.

1. vinaya

rz3300

Well this is something that I really wish my laptop had more of, these little security checks. I have the password when you are signing onto the OS but that is it, and I would not mind having a couple other places where you needed to input a password. I am sure there are ways to do this on my own, I have just not really looked into them. I should do that though, so thanks for the reminder.

rz3300, Sep 5, 2016
  2. vinaya

Elektron

Seems like we have a Windows 10 con fact here. I did not really know about that, however, you should try to re-configurate your security options and search up for user settings and edit that, it's possible, you just have to dig deeper when searching.

Elektron, Sep 8, 2016
  3. vinaya

janemariesayed

I am sure I have the facility to use a password for my laptop but I haven't set one up at all. I don't see the point as it is on my person the whole time and I don't normally lend it out to anyone. If I was lending it out on a regular basis then I would definitely use a password. I generally use different passwords for different things so people cannot guess that one password is used elsewhere. I have a little pocket address book that I keep a record of all my passwords which helps if I can't remember.

janemariesayed, Sep 8, 2016
  4. vinaya

Humphrey247

I have 3 siblings and so I understand pretty well the importance of privacy. I live alone right now but I've never thought of removing my password. It isn't much of a hassle to just enter it every time I open it which is about thrice a day.

Humphrey247, Sep 10, 2016
  5. vinaya

remnant

I rarely use a password for the devices I have owned in the past. I only use them to sign in and out of websites. Most people take extra caution with regard to this especially public cyber cafes due to jailbreaking and other malpractices. I would recommend one to do so if others are likely to access it.

remnant, Oct 5, 2016
  6. vinaya

Vash

I do. I think lock up the laptop is necessary to protect my privacy as well as to make it more headache for thief in case of theft.

On my old Dell Vostro 1500, I used a password for Windows login.

For my current Microsoft Surface Pro 4, I set up security login. So now I have multiple options to login.
    1. Facial recognition (using the frontal camera)
    2. Fingerprint reader (came with the type cover)
    3. Security Pin

Anyway, every time I turn on the Surface Pro 4, it automatically scan my face to log in. It only takes a few seconds. So it is quite convenient.
    Once in a blue moon when I do not look like myself, I just put my finger on the fingerprint scanner for it to login. :p
    If fingerprint fails too somehow, I can always use my security Pin.

Vash, Oct 9, 2016
Ask a Question