Do you think Windows will be around much longer?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cluckeyo, Jun 12, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

BlueText

I think Windows will stick around just because people are familiar with it and it's very reliable. It and Apple have the majority rule. Until the newer operating systems get more established and finds a way to be more practical and user friendly. Right now, I really don't like the format of Google (Chrome) for a laptop even though it's fine for a tablet.

BlueText, Sep 15, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

noachleo

There are many paths for improvements but bluntly saying that windows would stop operation can not be accurate, otherwise it wouldn't keep updating its system regularly, what I think is going to happen is a permanent alignment to the app-like system. In other words it will constantly mirror the applications system that google and apple utilizes on Iphones and androids.

noachleo, Sep 15, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

GearZ

Sure. But Windows has been the most common OS on desktop and similar devices for a very long time and still is. The context of this forum is the notebook market. Windows has a massive footprint in the field. The latest data. Note the top four:

[​IMG]

Sure it was. While slipping now, data from IDC in 2010 (reported in Computer Worlds "Windows widens lead over Linux in the server market") for example:

The latest IDC numbers show that in the first quarter of 2010 in terms of units sold, Windows had a 75.3% market share, (1,379,487 units) compared to 20.8% for Linux (380,429 units) and 3.6% (65,451 units) for Unix.

That's a pretty substantial lead --- and it's a bigger one than Windows had in the fourth quarter of 2009, when Windows had a 73.9% market share, compared to 21.2% for Linux, and 4.4% for Unix.

When it comes to revenue, as you would expect, Windows Server-based systems have an even bigger lead. In the fourth quarter, Windows servers accounted for 48.9% of the market ($5.1 billion), compared to 16.2% ($1.7 billion) for Linux, and 22.2% ($2.3 billion) for Unix.

The truth is, both Windows and Linux will continue to thrive in the server market, and Windows will continue to dominate. Linux fans may like to think they'll dethrone Windows, but this latest report is one more piece of evidence that's not likely to happen.​

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    GearZ, Sep 18, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

AntonioCalcano

Yes I think it will be around for a very long time since Microsoft have stated that this will be the last Windows and that's a very good idea, that way they can keep improving and working on it. I think Windows has no competition and no matter how many more OSes come out Windows will always be the easiest and most friendly option.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 28, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

Aree Wongwanlee

Chances are Windows is going to be around for very many more years. Some systems simply do not die out. I have seen computers still running on MSDos. Can you believe that? Of course, there are also many computers still running on Windows XP. So I expect Windows to be still around even if they lose market share to newer and more efficient operating systems.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 28, 2016
Ask a Question