Do you think Windows will be around much longer?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cluckeyo, Jun 12, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

With everything that Google (Chrome) is doing, seriously, do we really need Window? I do have one program that I will use occasionally, until I find it's online replacement. But for the most part, everything will run across devices and I will use the online apps. What do you think about the future of Windows?

cluckeyo, Jun 12, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. cluckeyo

vinaya

I don't think Chrome or any other OS will replace windows or create challenge windows. Windows has not only the largest market share which is difficult to penetrate for many programs and companies, it also caters thee needs of various kinds of people for it can be used in various industries. Window will continue to be better.

vinaya, Jun 12, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Corzhens

I think Windows still have it for at least 10 years provided they continue with their usual upgrade and new version. But some colleagues say that Windows 10 has the feel of XP in the olden days that was predicted to last more than 5 years - and it did, actually there are still XP users until now. Maybe if Linux would be less complicated to operate then it can give Microsoft a run for their money. Another thing, if Google is planning to unseat Microsoft's Windows, that's another good prospect. But for now, the atmosphere is still and quiet.

Corzhens, Jun 13, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

UpgradeMe

Windows has an insane foothold on the market, it might take a few more blows (windows 10 "we'll just molest you with our software" approach) but it will probably recover just fine from it all.They are already on notice though definitely, rubbed too many people the wrong way.

UpgradeMe, Jun 13, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

Krissttina Isobe

I believe there are fans of both chrome and windows so let's see what the future will hold for both as they give us what we need and want. It's fun to see what they'll do next and fun to use both. I'd like free anti malware things for both to be available by microsoft...microsoft has their security essentials that's very good so I hope they come out with a free anti malware & anti spyware check and removal too.

Krissttina Isobe, Jun 13, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

ZoeZoundBarrier

Windows is a far cry from totally disappearing. With Apple products not allowing CIA to cease their customer’s data, the government will need its confidant Bill Gates. It is no coincidence that Windows is still highly regarded seeing as they work hand and hand with Govt. Corporations in certain operations. It will be a while before we witness the disappearance of Windows OS.

ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 13, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Vash

Windows is not going anywhere for a while. Google might be big, but it takes more than just a big corporation to take over the OS market. Too many useful programs are centered around Windows based systems. This is not going to change any time soon. Just take a look at how many ATMs were still using Windows XP by the time Microsoft dropped the support on WinXP.

That is pure propaganda. Apple simply did not allow the government to have a method unlock an iPhone to get the data directly from the iPhone. It does not mean they do not allow the government to access the data from other methods. e.g., Their cloud service backs up everything on your iPhones if you choose to allow automatically sync. All your personal data on the cloud will be accessible by Apple and be at their mercy if they decide to give it to someone.

As the matter of fact, Apple is a participate in a program (the same one Microsoft, Google, etc. are in) to allow government to get personal data through them.

Vash, Jun 13, 2016
    ZoeZoundBarrier likes this.
  8. cluckeyo

ZoeZoundBarrier

Thank You for clearing that up Vash. I was well unaware of what ways that Apple might still be selling our information. I made a mistake and followed popular belief instead of following my instincts and doing some well needed research.

ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 13, 2016
  9. cluckeyo

SirJoe

I don't think that they will go away that soon. Most laptops are still launched with windows installed. When you ask most people which operating system they use, most often the answer is windows. Unless people start moving to the 2 in 1´s and use android instead of windows, they will still be around for a very long time.

SirJoe, Jun 15, 2016
  10. cluckeyo

ZoeZoundBarrier

Windows is the leading OS when you truly survey it. It is hard for anyone to take that spot since most of the PC and Laptop brands seem to come with Windows OS Disc to install.
    Until that changes then there is no way that we will see a decline in their presence.

ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 15, 2016
  11. cluckeyo

nytegeek

You are ignoring the fact that mobile devices like tablets and phones have larger market share than traditional PCs and that Microsoft has very little market share in this area.

nytegeek, Jun 15, 2016
  12. cluckeyo

obliviousme

Windows will remain one of the leading brands in the market and it's not going anywhere soon. Most people as far as i know is using Windows operating system, it's user friendly and not as costly as Mac.

obliviousme, Jun 16, 2016
  13. cluckeyo

bngo16

Windows will definitely be around for a long time. A lot of people and businesses use Windows OS and it's my favorite OS for a few reasons. Portable programs and gaming.

bngo16, Jun 16, 2016
  14. cluckeyo

nytegeek

The same argument could be made for Android. Android is on a multitude of devices and is a very popular OS. Android is a Linux BTW. Desktop computers are declining in popularity in favor of tablets and smart-phones. Microsoft has a minuscule market share of mobile devices.

nytegeek, Jun 16, 2016
  15. cluckeyo

bngo16

It does seem that desktop computers are declining in favor of tablets and smartphones. I only thing about android OS is that it's a mobile OS. I think what makes Windows OS a strong OS is that it's familiar with people because it's been around for a long time (besides Apple's OS of course) and because it has a multitude of programs it can run. It's also still the preferred gaming platform for gamers.

bngo16, Jun 16, 2016
  16. cluckeyo

nytegeek

That may be true, but it doesn't need to be the preferred platform for gaming any more and gaming isn't a majority of the market for computers.

I don't think Windows is going to disappear any time soon. I'm just pointing out that Windows is a lot less important in the grand scheme of things then it used to be.

nytegeek, Jun 16, 2016
  17. cluckeyo

SirJoe

There are other operating systems that have been accepted by the general public, but these have had a greater acceptance in the mobile device market and not in the laptop market. Windows is guaranteed to lead in the desktop and laptop market for a very long time to come.

SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016
  18. cluckeyo

nytegeek

To this I say Chromebook. Yeah, windows is getting eaten into on laptops as well.

nytegeek, Jun 18, 2016
  19. cluckeyo

IcyBC

I don't think Window will be going anywhere soon, even with the popularity of Chromebook nowadays. At least 8 out of 10 people I know using Window. People are creatures of habits and the market price places an important decision making for everyone.

IcyBC, Jun 19, 2016
  20. cluckeyo

Fuzyon

I think Windows will be around as long as computers will exist, it has the biggest ecosystem out there and dominates most of the market, I don't really see why it wouldn't be around any longer. They need to stop pestering people with Windows 10 though, that's not the best thing in the world for their userbase.
    In the future I think lower-tier Macs will be affordable though, maybe that's going to cause a change.

Fuzyon, Jun 19, 2016
Ask a Question