Do you think my acer is faulty?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by froogle, Jan 8, 2009.

1. froogle

froogle

I've got an Advent netbook already running xp (it's the one with the 3G) but I bought 2 acer ones today, a blue 120gb one and a white 8gb ssd. Both have linux on them.

I wanted to put XP on them. I created boot usb and installed the 120gb one no problem.

The SSD one I am having problems. It seems to switch off after a few minutes. I initially thought it was a problem with the usb pen but even if you load the bios and leave it on, it stays on for 20 secs and then switches off.

I loaded both laptops into linux at the start to check the battery status before installing windows but i didn't leave them on for any length of time

any advice appreciated

froogle, Jan 8, 2009
  2. froogle

bluefalls

I had the same problem. Bought a Linux 120gb HDD version. Upgraded the RAM to 1.5Gb and put in a Crucial SATA SSD. Before i put the SSD in i turned off D2D, (I think that is it, the last option on the second tab in the bios) after reading info from here. Then installed XP and flashed the bios from within windows. Which i forgot would clear all the settings. When it restarted the fan went nuts and the system shut down after about a minute. Couldn't work out why but changing the D2D setting back to disabled appears to have done the job.

Might work for you as well?

bluefalls, Jan 10, 2009
  3. froogle

DynaMight

When I got my Acer it would turn itself off. Do you hear the fan when you turn it on?

Mine was silent because the fan wasnt working so turned itself off. I opened the thing up (follow the ram upgrade guides on here/youtube) then unplugged/replugged in the fan cable then it worked perfectly and has done every since. If you dont want to open it up then you'll need to return the item.

DynaMight, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question