Do you really need or use a touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by IBMPC8088, Feb 13, 2016.

1. IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088

For years, it was the rage, and then it started to become a standard for laptops in addition to phones: the touchscreen.

Do you really use a touchscreen on a laptop though? They want people to feel like they are on Star Trek, but I find touch screen input to be clunky and often inefficient compared to the keyboard. If you're doing a presentation with a stylus pen, it could be useful there...but not so much and against what you're trying to do if you have a cat or a dog or anyone else accidentally brush up against the screen.

Are touchscreens really necessary for laptops? Do we even need them for anything except mobile phones and tablets/ipads?

IBMPC8088, Feb 13, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. IBMPC8088

sparkster

The idea really came from the fact that mobile phones led to the texting craze, rather than people calling each other. They therefore decided to focus on creating technology around it, hoping that it would eventually replace conventional computing. Unfortunately, it's too unreliable. As a writer, I need ot be able to type properly and fast.

sparkster, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. IBMPC8088

something back

My own view point is it's sill in it's infancy,with no practicable use
    as yet.

There's not much dedicated software for it as yet dedicated to the home user

something back, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. IBMPC8088

Sefie

I hate touchscreen on mobiles, specially when texting, but there is no choice. I prefer my keyboard over a touchscreen laptop anyday though.

Sefie, Feb 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. IBMPC8088

KimmyMarkks

I have a touch screen lap top and i have to say I don't love it. I rarely use the touch screen aspect. I bought it because I thought I would use it as a tablet but the touchscreen isn't always as receptive as the cursor is so I found myself not using it.
    I wouldn't recommend one for the extra money.

KimmyMarkks, Feb 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. IBMPC8088

vinaya

My handheld devices such as phone and tablet are touchscreen, however, I have never used touchscreen laptop. I don't think I need a touchscreen laptop. I am a writer and I need a keyboard to type.Had I been an artist I would definitely get touch screen laptop so that drawing is simplified.

vinaya, Feb 18, 2016
  7. IBMPC8088

Pablo Diaz

Yes. I personally find touchscreens useful, although in my very specific situation.

My GF is a graphic designer and she uses the touchscreen on her laptop in combination with a stylus she bought to be able to create different shapes, and it also helps her when vectorizing. She also does some light drawing on it, but she does say that it doesn't have enough precision.

So yeah, I think they're great for some people but they still have a long way to go for the mainstream consumer to find them really useful, because right now most people use them for about a week and then get bored of them, and return to their keyboard and mouse.

Pablo Diaz, Feb 18, 2016
  8. IBMPC8088

Krissttina Isobe

I personally like to use my keyboard. Coming from the generation of typewriters I like the keyboard. I guess some people who don't know how to type can use the touchscreen and pens, so it's okay with me. If I were to buy a computer though I'd like it with a keyboard and mouse.

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 19, 2016
  9. IBMPC8088

Tara

I declined to get a touchscreen on my laptop. I don't feel that it's necessary for my laptop. I really like using the keyboard. I not really fond of the mouse, but it's a necessary because I don't like the touchpad. I have seen touchscreen monitors with fingerprints on it. That would drive me nuts.

Tara, Feb 19, 2016
  10. IBMPC8088

roger1003

Touchscreens are only helpful if you may convert your laptop into a tablet. Other than that, it's pretty useless. Keyboard is still the best for typing.

roger1003, Mar 22, 2016
  11. IBMPC8088

djordjem87

I really do not have that need. Not only with laptops but also with cell phones. I had a tablet and it is okay and I love the freedom but it never changed my PC. So, I would say I would never accept having only a touch screen computer at my possession and I would accept to have the normal one.

djordjem87, Mar 26, 2016
  12. IBMPC8088

Corzhens

When I'm using my phone, I get comfortable after sometime. But it's all about texting or social media comments. When doing work in the computer, I prefer to use the real keyboard because the touchscreen messes up my typing. I usually mistype the letter A that often I would see the letter S in its stead. But the touchscreen is preferred by the younger ones, not for convenience but for being modern.

Corzhens, Mar 26, 2016
  13. IBMPC8088

UpgradeMe

Call me crazy, but I think monitors are on their way out for a lot of purposes. Virtual reality technology beats out touchscreens in a lot of ways because they provide a 3-D environment, and the more time people spend with a headset on, the less relevant their monitors are.

UpgradeMe, Mar 27, 2016
  14. IBMPC8088

SirJoe

I really think that they were just a fad, they don't really seem useful. Just the fact that you can have your mouse next to you and you don't have to stretch out to touch the screen just means that most people will probably use their mouse most of the time.

SirJoe, Mar 30, 2016
  15. IBMPC8088

sparkster

Well, I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 which of course has tablet mode for touchscreen devices. Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to pay the extra money to get the exact same laptop with touchscreen also - the difference is price just seemed to way too unreasonable just to have a touchscreen device so I went without. I do sometimes think it would have been nice to have had the touchscreen model though because now I can't try the new laptop out in it and find out what its like.

sparkster, Apr 7, 2016
Ask a Question