Do you like your Acer One?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by cubfan1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cubfan1

cubfan1

I am thinking about buying one.Do you like it?What problems or any concerns do you have?I would love as many owners to tell me if it is worth the time and money.Thanks so much.

cubfan1, Aug 3, 2008
  2. cubfan1

midgetdiablo

I've tested the MSI Wind and the Eee PC, and I can say that so far the Aspire One is the best netbook for the price.

midgetdiablo, Aug 3, 2008
  3. cubfan1

Raido

We've had the Linux version for a few weeks and so far it's done fine - must say, so far I do like it. Even my non-computing parents have figured out how to handle it now, mostly. Some people seem to have a rather noisy fan on it, though - ours does not.
    Compared to the Eee the bigger/better screen and ditto keyboard are worth the price difference imho; considering it's been an 1.0 release basically, it's been doing ok in terms of software while there still is plenty of room for growth, software-wise.

Raido, Aug 3, 2008
  4. cubfan1

Mangod

Mangod, Aug 3, 2008
  5. cubfan1

Archer

I have had mine now for three or four days and am quite pleased with my choice of the Acer One. As mentioned above the screen and the keyboard are preferable to the eepc, in my opinion, do to size and clarity. Have not added any software to this point because it was purchased for basic web surfing, email and open office.

Archer, Aug 3, 2008
  6. cubfan1

A_I

In linux version it needs to be tuned first (which requires some googling and couple of evenings), but then ... it is great!

A_I, Aug 3, 2008
  7. cubfan1

grabejud

everywhere i go, i have A1 with me. Carrying it everyday, in coffee shops, fastfoods, and travel.
    almost sold it due to slow ssd speeds, but after i swap it in with a faster hdd, hard to let go with this fella, and proved its capabilities after i installed OSX emulator on top of xp and still runs fine. So overall, i like what Acer did with their new babybook.

grabejud, Aug 9, 2008
  8. cubfan1

rory

Just got a brand new one, and I'm using linpus for the first time. Last time, I literally got it, and then installed XP...
    But it's amazing. While I'm waiting for my ZIF drive to come, I bought an external Western Digital 160GB HDD, 3 partitions, one for OS X Leopard, one for Vista and one for shared files. 20GB/20GB/120GB.
    I can't love it more...
    Rory

rory, Aug 9, 2008
  9. cubfan1

niem102

I just got it today and already love this thing. About the fan noise...at least with mine the fan isn't very loud, but when it's quiet enough in the room, the noise it does make is somewhat annoying. Just turn some music on or something though and problem solved :D

niem102, Aug 12, 2008
  10. cubfan1

lmf22

I had the 512MB, 8GB SSD, Linux version for 2 days and absolutely love it. When considering mini-notebooks, my only concern was the size of the keyboard. The Aspire One's keyboard is comfortable to type, but it took me about 30 minutes to get used to it. After that my typing speed was up again. The screen is bright, sharp, and easy to read. My only complain is the fan noise. The high pitch whining does get annoying. However, with music on at a low/comfortable volume, it is hardly noticeable.

I got the Aspire One at Circuit City on Sunday, but the fan was just too loud so I exchanged it today. It seems to be softer but not silent like I hoped. Looks like this problem is widespread (there's a thread, "Fan problem" dedicated to it). Hope it will be solved by future firmware upgrades.

lmf22, Aug 13, 2008
  11. cubfan1

Num1deluxe

You guys must have some sensitive ear or I just occupy mostly noisy environments, But I Love the heck out mine too, now to sell the eeepc :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Num1deluxe, Aug 13, 2008
  12. cubfan1

lightpost

Won't get rid of my beloved EeePC 4G, but still love the hell out of my new Aspire One! :D

If you're a power user, you'll be happy to know that, with a little minor tweaking, the Linpus Linux variant can be turned into a full-fledged OS complete with a well-stocked and reasonably up-to-date software repository. Add to that the MUCH greater ease of modifying the Desktop menu compared to the POS that was the AsusOS Easy Mode, and within an hour I had my Aspire One equipped with everything program I needed (and still retain the 15 second boot!).

The only way I could easily do that with my EeePC was to replace the AsusOS with a real Linux OS -- so hats off to Acer for eliminating that extra step! :cool:

lightpost, Aug 13, 2008
  13. cubfan1

bit-ninja

Funny, I'm in the same boat. Even though I have grown to love the keyboard and screen of the Aspire One, I still can't bear to get rid of my Eee PC 4G. It is such a handy little machine.

Anyway, I have had my One for about two-weeks and I can say I am very pleased with it. I think they have a winner!

bit-ninja, Aug 13, 2008
  14. cubfan1

pxharder

I had the chance to play with an HP 2133 for a couple of months and got addicted to the idea of a netbook. I had to give it back (demo for a customer) because I could not part with over $700 for the unit.

Once I had a chance to buy the Aspire One, I jumped at the chance. And now I am in love with the little unit! I take it everywhere and I am the envy of all the geeks and non-geeks around me. When I show them what I can do and how I can use it they are amazed.

I played with an ASUS EEEPC as well, but overall this is the best bargain for quality around. Get it and enjoy it.

Paul

pxharder, Aug 13, 2008
  15. cubfan1

cubfan1

I went to get the AOA110-1722 at Circuit City today,and the Manager and Firedog told me Acer has discontinued it.They told me to many problems with it.I glad I talked to them and came to this forum before I bought it.I thank you all and good luck.

cubfan1, Aug 14, 2008
  16. cubfan1

gbee

Sorry, but your timing is off, April 1st isn't for 8 months.

gbee, Aug 14, 2008
  17. cubfan1

Payndz

I'm really liking my One so far - the keyboard's great for a mini system (I can type almost as fast as on a full-size one), the screen's clear, the bundled software (Linpus) does what I need it to (though admittedly I did enable Advanced Mode so I could install VLC...) and it's just a really neat little piece of kit. |It makes my usual MacBook seem absolutely colossal. For £220, I definitely can't complain!

Okay, maybe a little. ;) The battery life is definitely on the low side - with wifi off, it ran out after 2 hours 20, which isn't really enough. The trackpad scrolling is fussy - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My machine has the slow Intel SSD, so copying large files is painfully sluggish. Coming out of sleep mode is such a lottery as to whether it'll work or go nuts that I've set it just to shut down instead - it only takes a few seconds longer to boot up than wake. The power saving options are too limited. And being used to a MacBook, it takes waaaaay longer to connect to my wireless than I like.

But these are just minor annoyances. Overall, it's an excellent machine!

Payndz, Aug 14, 2008
  18. cubfan1

niem102

2nd the trackpad scrolling annoyance. That took kind of a while to get used to finding right where to push to get it to scroll, and it still doesn't always work. Other than that my only complaint is the battery life. I don't even mind the buttons on the sides of the trackpad.

niem102, Aug 15, 2008
  19. cubfan1

Wicked

I love my One... but I hate its noise...

Wicked, Aug 15, 2008
  20. cubfan1

MMD

with all the problem I have with it being repaired I can't say I love it at all at this point. Maybe if it came with ram that works installed and the keyboard is fixed but the depot itself says they might have lost it.

It was wonderful for the first week of use now it has become one of my least favorite computing experiences.

MMD, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question