DNS Flush

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JohnG38, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JohnG38

JohnG38

How do I flush the DNS cache on my Aspire One (Linpus Linux) I've tried a couple of Linux ones ( ... etc/init.d/nscd ; ...etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd), and it says file not found. Which is the correct command for this software? The browser is constantly failing to find sites and the mail server.

JohnG

JohnG38, Sep 14, 2010
  2. JohnG38

aworkingpig

I was looking for this answer myself and found this...
    worked as described.. hope it helps.

aworkingpig, Oct 2, 2010
  3. JohnG38

JohnG38

well, thanks ,... but that's for windows ... :)

JohnG38, Oct 3, 2010
  4. JohnG38

Darryl

Firstly linux does not cache the same way that windoze does. To make it do this nscd needs to be installed (but if its not caching then this is probably not your problem). I no longer use linpus but the app may be included in the yum repo hence....
    Code:
    sudo yum install nscd
    Then you can use the commands you tried before, or these..
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart

Darryl, Oct 4, 2010
  5. JohnG38

JohnG38

Darryl, thanks so much.

that appeared to work, (download, resterat etc) but then the problem returned. Specifically, it refuses to see google or yahoo and, once failed, continues to say it's not available. I have to go back to home page and try, and then sometimes it's okay. It's as if, once it fails, it doesn't actually try again.

I have another machine (desktop, Wndows) working through the same router which has no such problems. What am I missing here?

johnG

JohnG38, Oct 12, 2010
  6. JohnG38

Darryl

This is not really a linux problem. I suspect the router is at fault. Did you try the usual "switch it off and on again?" there may be issues with the NAT firewall rules not forgetting that a factory reset on the router may work as well. I would suggest you look further afield re your specific router and browser

Darryl, Oct 13, 2010
  7. JohnG38

JohnG38

okay, I'll try the resetting etc, but logically (I think too much), just to say it worked perfectly until 1-2 months ago, and (as far as I know!) I haven't changed any parameters.

is there any other software that vets connections other than the DNS lookup? It can fail to find google and yahoo often, but finds other sites at once. erratic.

I'm using Open DNS on the main machine, perhaps I should put it in the router?

best (and thanks) JohnG

JohnG38, Oct 13, 2010
  8. JohnG38

Darryl

Darryl, Oct 14, 2010
Ask a Question