DNS error on Wifi - both Linux & XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TomS, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TomS

TomS

Hi, I got my new AAO last week but I'm havng a problem which I've never come across before.

It has trouble resolving DNS queries for loads of websites. I'm connecting to my home network which has five other machines on with different OS's and they all work fine so its not a problem with the connection to my ISP from my wireless router. It was playing up when I first used it with Firefox in Linux, it would come back with DNS error for loads of major websites such as Adobe.com and BBC.co.uk but would work with others like google.com. I tested all the same address on my Vista desktop at the same time and they were live at the time.

As I'm a Windows guy and have been working in IT support with it for years I tried installing XP on my AAO but it is still doing the same thing which I've never seen before! I've got IE7, FF3 and Chrome all installed on it under XP and they all do the same thing so I'm guessing it isn't a browser or OS specific problem. I've tried all the obvious things like disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network numerous times, clearing the DNS record with ipconfig/flushdns and putting the actual IP address of my ISP's DNS servers in manually on the AAO but still no joy.

It's really annoying as my main reason for buying it was to browse the net with WiFi connections and its the one thing it won't do properly!

My only guess is that its something to do with the actual wireless card itself? Has anyone else had this problem or got any ideas?? Many thanks in advance :)

TomS, Nov 7, 2008
  2. TomS

Tamrac

1st things 1st.... What BIOS version are you using? Update to the latest .3305 & disable power saving on the wifi card. Go to command prompt, do a PING -t to you're DNS server.... see if the connection is consistent, no packet losses. Alternatively do a ping to your wifi router, see there are losses.... update us on the results.

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question