"Display driver has stopped responding" + Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Guest, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Issue 1:

This has been an issue with my Acer Aspire One ever since installing the RTM build of Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I have the screen set to turn off after a set time of inactivity, perfectly normal, yet once I move the mouse of hit a key to bring the screen back up, it turns back on for a second then goes black again, then comes back on with the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered" error.

This is complteley reproducible every time.

Of course I haven't used any odd drivers. I'm using the Intel GMA driver direct from Windows Update.

I have done 2 RTM installs on this machine with the same issue each time. Its not the end of the world but it is somewhat irritating.

Issue 2 (probably related):

Completely randomly after using my AAO for any amount of time, the screen will blink and Aero will turn off. I get a message saying the the theme has been changed to Windows Basic ( or something like that). WiFi will completely die as well. The WiFi chip disappears from Device Manager.

The only way to get Aero and WiFi back is to reboot.

To be honest, this seems like a faulty hardware problem although I'm open to suggestions.

Any ideas?

Guest, Sep 14, 2009
  2. Guest

joeystitch

While I don't have any solutions to suggest, I'm having the same issue with the Windows 7 RC (build 7100). I've tried upgrading and downgrading video drivers to no avail.

joeystitch, Sep 19, 2009
  3. Guest

stewartbray

Have you tried a default say Windows generic XGA driver to see if that works? If it does it will be the drivers related to the specific VGA chip in the Aspire one.
    You sometimes get a result if you go back to the chipset drivers direct from the maker , rather than ones supplied by the motherboard maker. I have had similar problem years ago when XGA originally came in..

stewartbray, Oct 9, 2009
  4. Guest

joeystitch

Simply disabling Aero transparency seems to help. No crashes yet.

joeystitch, Oct 15, 2009
  5. Guest

fauxpas

Can't remember which forum I read it on, but it is a driver issue. Those who have this issue on their netbooks need to use a specific vga driver.

Just made a quick search and couldn't find it but I remember reading it somewhere... I'll keep and eye out for that thread.

fauxpas, Oct 16, 2009
  6. Guest

shaycando

yeah i get crashes to but its only when im downloading from wifi but if i have my ether net cord plugged in no crashes but another thing that crashes alot for me is firefox

shaycando, Jan 5, 2010
  7. Guest

Nambleruk

The driver for the graphics chip available via the windows update isnt the latest one.

Visit the intel site, download page and search for laptop graphics drivers, it will give you the option to upgrade the 945 family chip (as used in the AOA150 and ? AOA110)

8 15 10 1930 is the latest available from their site.

Nambleruk, Jan 6, 2010
  8. Guest

furrybandit

Just had that problem myself,
    even uninstalling and reinstalling driver did nothing
    played around with it for days, it would crash 10 times a day the video
    but its fixed now......reinstall windows format
    that should fix ya up

furrybandit, Jan 7, 2010
Ask a Question