Display cuts off some window at bottom of screen

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by tlitty, Jul 30, 2009.

1. tlitty

tlitty

I have an Acer One 10". I noticed that some windows extend beyond the bottom of the screen. There is no way to scroll down. It happens with pop up windows.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the XP driver?

tlitty, Jul 30, 2009
  2. tlitty

donec

It is a common problem and it is due to the fact that the aspect ratio for the normal scree is different than for the AA1. The AA1 is limited to 1024x600 and the normal 1024 resolution is 1024x768 so 168 pixels are off the screen when running some programs in both Windows and Linux. There are some simple work around for Linux but I haven't heard of any thing for Windows that is acceptable as I don't like flipping the screen 90 deg. I keep watching for a fix like the one they have in some Dell computers. They have a setting that allows you to set your screen larger than the physical size of the monitor and when you move your cursor to an edge the display moves the visual area showing you the portion not visible.

donec, Jul 30, 2009
  3. tlitty

wozofoz

I get this on my 9'' I often can't click Ok or whatever on the bottom of prefs pop-ups.

You can write to the authors of the software and remind them that 9" 10" 11" are very popular
    But while you are waiting:

Right click the TaskBar > Properties and Tick Auto-hide the taskbar this is slow and boring but it may let you get to what you need.

You can install MoveMe
    MoveMe will allow you to move any window.
    Caution: ANY window. Read the instructions and use with care

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jul 30, 2009
  4. tlitty

donec

Your caution seems to imply there is a special danger from this software, so could you be a little more specific? This sounds good but it doesn't sound like it would be dangerous I mean how could moving a window cause problems other than possibly moving it off the screen and loosing it. BTW thanks for sharing.

donec, Jul 31, 2009
  5. tlitty

wozofoz

Hi, sorry for the confusion.
    I didn't mean to imply 'Danger' just 'Caution'. Being new to computers (6 months) I tend to err on the side of caution when mentioning software that can make changes to the general look and function of the computer just in case another newcomer reads my post.
    You are right, all it can do is move/re-size windows and there is no immediate danger in that but since it can move/re-size any window that is 'focused' a simple case of wrong keyboard shortcut could move/re-size a window without the user noticing (yep, I did it :roll: )
    This could lead to 'panic' later when the newcomer sees that some windows don't look right, if they can't figure it out themselves they will probably/hopefully end up here asking what has happened.

MoveME is a great bit of software but since I only need to use it very rarely, I keep it handy, launch when needed, move/re-size the window, do whatever needs to be done, then exit MoveME.
    I have enough keyboard shortcuts to deal with without adding more permanently :)

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jul 31, 2009
  6. tlitty

donec

Thanks for the reply woz of oz, that's kind of what I expected.

donec, Jul 31, 2009
  7. tlitty

zehutiman

Can anyone shed some light on replacing the drivers, specifically the drivers for the "Display Adapters?" I have an Asus and temporarily had the same problem. However, I found a driver for its Display Adapter and now I can change the resolution to 1024x768, but the same driver wouldn't work with the Acer. There MUST be a driver that'll work....any ideas?

Mo

zehutiman, Aug 1, 2009
Ask a Question