Discover a Hidden Feature: Built-in Dictionary

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ftapon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ftapon

ftapon

I'm not sure how I found this, but every Acer One comes with a built-in dictionary, complete with definitions and quotations, which are viewable offline. :idea:

Edit: Ooops! :roll: As Grim points out below, it is NOT available offline. My bad! (It's still a cool feature!)

As a writer, that's useful. To pull it up, you can use the Advanced Tab (edit: I meant Advanced Menu) and click on "Run" and type:

Code:
    gnome-dictionary
    Easy!

If you'll access it often, then you can add a shortcut to your desktop via the group-app.xml file. You can add this line in the appropriate spot:

Code:
    /usr/share/applications/gnome-dictionary.desktop</app-->			 
    And/or you can add a keyboard shortcut that calls up the dictionary at anytime. To do that, read this:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4230

While looking up a word on the web is great, I love this dictionary because it's faster than the web, it shows similar words, and it also has many quotes and related words. It's a pity it's buried in the OS.

ftapon, Sep 27, 2008
  2. ftapon

allied35

For those of us who are not so computer savvy, where is the "advanced tab" and where to I type the stuff you posted? :oops:
    Thanks, Leo.

allied35, Sep 27, 2008
  3. ftapon

Grim Squeaker

No they're not ;)
    Well - not on my machine at least.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 27, 2008
  4. ftapon

Blingin2Mingin

allied35

By advanced tab I think ftapon meant the advanced menu that is accessed by a right click on the desktop after doing the following.

Holding down the ALT key whilst pressing the F2 key also brings up the Run Application window.
    In this window you can type
    Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    And then click Run.
    This will bring up the xfce settings manager. Select Desktop, then the Behavior tab and then tick the box next to "Show desktop menu on right click".
    Close the window and thats the advanced menu enabled.

You can edit the group-app.xml desktop configuration file by typing
    Code:
    mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    in the Run Application window.
    (mousepad being the Xfce test editor).

I also use ALT+F2 to call up the file browser with root privileges
    Code:
    sudo thunar
    And a terminal
    Code:
    terminal
    If gnome-dictionary is not installed then install it from the package manager accesed via the advanced menu >>system>>Add/Remove Programs.

Blingin2Mingin, Sep 27, 2008
  5. ftapon

Fuerst

how can I get a German dictionary?, please?

Fuerst, Sep 27, 2008
  6. ftapon

allied35

Thanks!

allied35, Sep 27, 2008
  7. ftapon

ftapon

Thanks Grim for catching my error about the offline. I would have sworn that I accessed the dictionary while I was a passenger in a car, but it must have been a dream, but it's not available offline. I fixed the original post. Still, it's a great tool that many could use.

Also, thanks to Blingin2Mingin for explaining about the Advanced Menu. I edited my original post on that too.

Lastly, for the German dictionary, you can try installing hunspell-de or aspell-de. I'm not sure, but it's a good place to start. To install them, go to Add/Remove programs under the System menu of the XFCE (aka Advanced Menu). Click on the Search tab and type "German"

You'll see several programs including the two I mentioned. The programs will install under the XFCE menu.

If this doesn't make sense, search this forum for info on XFCE before posting here. Thanks!

ftapon, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question