Discount battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livvy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Livvy

Livvy

So I've a question which I've always been wondering, ever since I started buying laptops a while ago. We all know that a battery will wear down after a while or two, especially if we have to use the AC power adapter, and eventually it'll get so bad-like mine-that your laptop won't be able to work off the battery at all, which sort of makes having a laptop pointless.

Now, you'll see on Amazon or eBay people selling discount batteries that are cross platform, meaning that they can be used on a wide variety of laptops. Are these actually worth the money, or is it a false economy?

Livvy, Jul 22, 2014
  2. Livvy

Brian8gbSSDLinux

They are NOT a false economy... MOST batteries are made by a handful of Manufacturers in Taiwan (Free China)... Some are bought (to order) by the Big Companies... and branded as such... typically a Sony battery may cost £190 FROM Sony... but by buying virtually the same Battery from a No-Name company... it will cost you £30 to £60...

BOTH batteries will last LESS THAN 3 Years (in my experience, 20 years of using Laptops)... so over the life of the Laptop - say 10 years you end up paying say £400 (extra for your laptop) for Big Name batteries, but £150 - £300 for No-Name Laptop Batteries...

After owning a Averatec E1200 for which I could only get replacement batteries @ £190... One criteria I now apply to buying a 'new' Laptop, is are No-Name batteries readily available...

Others MAY completely disagreee....

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 25, 2014
  3. Livvy

wajahat30

So I've a question which I've always been wondering, ever since I started buying laptops a while ago. We all know that a battery will wear down after a while or two, especially if we have to use the AC power adapter, and eventually it'll get so bad-like mine-that your laptop won't be able to work off the battery at all, which sort of makes having a laptop pointless.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    wajahat30, Sep 19, 2014
  4. Livvy

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Actually, wajahat30, they are NOT 'pointless. The reason many people buy a Laptop is - because nearly all Adverts these days show people USING Laptops, when they are NOT what people NEED. :mad:

There are so many requests JUST on this forum for people wanting to upgrade their mediocre Laptop to Gaming specifications... THEY bought the Laptop, convinced it would do the job, :( while all the time they really need a DESKTOP computer... especially as the Game Companies keep upping the Specs needed for their Games and with a Desktop you can easily upgrade. :p

A Laptop is SMALL, and can be slid into a Drawer for safety when not used. ;)

A Laptop is PORTABLE - why they were invented in the first place - can go on Holiday with you (unless you bought a 17 incher and are willing to pay excess baggage. :eek:

A Laptop is useable when watching the T.V with the other eye when you are catching up on your homework in the front room. :cool:
    and YES
    A Laptop battery does die of young age (3 years or less!).. it is why I KEEP my old batteries in the Laptop AT HOME, reserving my NEW battery for travel (Service Engineer) and for Holiday travel. :D

Personally, my teenage sons 24" desktop computer screens give me a pain in the neck when I have to fix problems on their computers... :confused:
    I feel that a 14" screen, is plenty... :oops: it's why I use Laptops...

Brian.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 19, 2014
  5. Livvy

KimmyMarkks

I've purchased discount batteries off amazon and I have to say they were junk. They lasted no more then a month and I couldn't get my money back. When it comes to buying a new battery I would just pay more for a good name brand one. In the end it will last longer and be worth it.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 9, 2015
  6. Livvy

IcyBC

I bought an off brand name battery before both for my laptop and my Android phone. The battery for the laptop lasted me two years and the price was unbeatable. However, the battery for my Android phone died in a month, so I ended up returning it. I think it depends on your luck on the batches of batteries that they produced.

IcyBC, Nov 10, 2015
Ask a Question