Disappearing WLAN Card

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by techie, Aug 6, 2008.

1. techie

techie

I have reverted back to Linpus after installing XP, OSX, Ubuntu etc...like a few others here. I also updated to the latest bios..

The issue I have (and I don't remember this happening in XP) is that sometimes...and it is random...the Aspire simply stops detecting the wireless card. Under Settings -> System-> Networks->Wifi there is nothing.

A reboot solves the issue. Anyone else have this issue?

techie, Aug 6, 2008
  2. techie

glibdud

Did you upgrade the RAM or do anything else involving opening the machine up?

glibdud, Aug 6, 2008
  3. techie

techie

yes...I upgraded the ram a long time ago however.

I've noticed a trend though.

It seems to be an issue related to when the machine goes to sleep.

It occurs either right after or soon after it wakes up. Only a complete power off and on fixes it. A simple restart doesn't.

Am suspecting the bios upgrade at this point but I will reinstall Linpus to see if it was somehow related to any package changes I have done...

techie, Aug 6, 2008
  4. techie

Faakern

Have anyone resolved this problem: Sometimes after I've brought the computer back from suspended mode, the WLAN won't start detecting a signal. Even if I rescan it just goes on for ever without any result. I have to reboot in order for the os to start rescanning and detecting properly.

I'm running Linpus by the way and I've ran all updates till now. My WIFI is Atheros AR5006EG.

PS. I haven't tried restarting the network service yet (because I just didn't think of it ;)) but I'm pretty sure it will work that way as well.
    I've upgraded my RAM, but I experienced the same problem before I did this...

Faakern, Aug 13, 2008
  5. techie

techie

Evidently this seems to be a common problem with the Atheros card. A few sites dedicated to other machines also have the problem (a Toshiba site seems to have it fixed with a bios upgrade). In Linpus maybe you can check the System Info settings...in my case the actually card disappears from the system (also disappears in XP after choosing "Scan for new hardware).

A reboot or sometimes a complete shutdown seems to be the only way to resolve it. The suspicion is the PCIExpress power management marks the card as down when sleeping or to save power. The problem seems to be it never wakes the card up again....so bascially it disappears...I have messed around with a few of the power management settings on the XP side for the card but it still happens intermittently. These settings werent visible on Linpus.

techie, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question