disabling Aufs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Indiana_Geoff, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Indiana_Geoff

Indiana_Geoff

Call me an anal geek, but I don't like software putting files where it wants to. I want to decide where files go and when. I want my system files on the SSD and data files on my memory card. Since I am trying out different operating systems, I don't want to worry about my data getting overwritten. Or even better, when restoring or upgrading I can pop out the memory card and have no concern for accidental deletion.

How can you disable Aufs to get rid of this issue.

Indiana_Geoff, Feb 17, 2009
  2. Indiana_Geoff

TheTilde

Hi. Same here.

I disabled aufs, and now I just use my "external" SSD the way it was intended! 8-D

But I'm no programmer, so it's more like a butcher solution:
    as root, in a terminal I renamed the conf file for aufs:

#code===================================
    sudo su
    mv /etc/aufs.act /etc/aufs.bak
    mv /etc/macles.cfg /etc/macles.cfg.bak
    touch /etc/aufs.act
    touch /etc/macles.cfg
    #===================================/code

The touch command creates an empty file, so linpus is find it and does nothing.
    :)

One reboot, and it worked for me...
    Then I had to clean the duplicate folders on the SSD, re-locate my files, create some symlinks so, by example, my mp3 physically located on the external SSD are seen in my /home/user/Music folder.
    Now I'm happy, I have extra space on my left SSD, and I can extract it without fearing some mess in my home directory.

Be aware that I've done this weeks ago, so maybe I have forgotten some additionnal steps. And I don't take no responsability whatsoever, but will gladly answer questions about it.

Hope it helped
    TheTilde

TheTilde, Feb 20, 2009
  3. Indiana_Geoff

TheTilde

Ah what's more, I have yet never installed the last Acer update (Live Update) asking to bring a patch for the storage manager....
    I think that it'll break my mod.
    Anyway, it's no too hard to change back.

TheTilde

TheTilde, Feb 20, 2009
  4. Indiana_Geoff

Indiana_Geoff

Thanks for the help.

It's clear what the Aufs file does, but what does the "macles.cfg" do/control?

Indiana_Geoff, Feb 20, 2009
  5. Indiana_Geoff

TheTilde

The macles.cfg (is he the same macles as in "http://macles.blogspot.com/" ?) surely deals with aufs... but I'm too thick to understand how :p

TheTilde

TheTilde, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question