Disabling ad-hoc (peer2peer) wireless settings?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pontificator, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

I read that disabling your wireless card's ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) settings is a useful security measure when using a laptop in an unsecured public WLAN.

Can anyone chime in on this as it applies to a Linux AA1?

Granted, the info I got from this article is now 5 years old. I'm sort of getting the idea that out-of-the-box, the wireless card on an AA1 (linpus) already has this setting disabled by default. Is this so?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1277504,00.asp

"Since wireless LANs allow peer-to-peer connections, the computer-savvy guy at the corner table may be able to connect to your notebook and mooch your Internet connection, look at your unprotected files, or hitch a ride as you connect to your corporate LAN."

"Disable your wireless card's ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) mode. You can do this via the adapter's utilities or within Windows XP by clicking on Network Connections in the Control Panel. This will help prevent anyone from connecting to your notebook."

Pontificator, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question