Dim area of screen on Acer Timeline- is there a fix?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gbwillner, Feb 8, 2011.

1. gbwillner

gbwillner

Thanks in advance, this is my first post.

I have an Acer Aspire Timeline 3810T, 14 months old (just past warranty- of course). Anyway, the case around the screen is flimsy, as many of you know. I have taken immaculate care of this thing.... but anyway...

About 1 month ago, I noticed that the bottom right side of the screen was dim relative to the rest of the screen. I think it was caused by pushing the laptop to the back of my desk area, where some cords put pressure on the back of the case. After tinkering for a few days, I was able to completely fix the problem by adding a little pressure on the front (face/screen side) of the case, right below the screen. Every now and then the dim spot would come back, and I would apply a little pressure to the spot and it would go away.

Today, the spot came back. I applied pressure to the magic spot... and the spot grew bigger. I tried again... the bottom left of the screen went dim. I tried again... the screen went black. Rebooting resulted in the status quo (dim spot on the right side). The dim spot on the bottom left now comes and goes as I apply pressure, but the bottom right side is dim with a slight gradient, and takes up ~1/6 of the screen. It is really annoying.

I think something is just loose, but I wanted to check with people who know more than me before doing exploratory surgery on my laptop. Is this a problem that can be fixed, or do I need a new monitor? Is this a death throws for my monitor?

Thanks again!

gbwillner, Feb 8, 2011
Ask a Question