Different BIOS-version for Linpus and Windows?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by KGB, Sep 15, 2008.

1. KGB

KGB

Maybe it's a thumb question - but during evaluating the "dead aspire one" problem I run across the following questions / thoughts:

a) Many people try to install Windows XP on their A110L oder A150L
    b) A search shows me a lot of people who has a bricked AAO

Well, I know the suggestions on macles*-Blog and here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903&p=22127&hilit=bios&sid=42bc867240656d0ceaed19dfad7c7002#p22127 to recover from a "dead aspire" problem flashing the bios.

But my issue is: Going to this http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_110.html site or to this http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_150.html site, I read "BIOS for MS Windows XP".

So I'm curios - do they (Acer) are using two different BIOS versions - one for systems with Linpus Lite and another for machines with Windows XP? It doesn't make sense to me - and I have never heared about such a behavior on other machines. But I guess, there could/might be a reason behind the fact, that Acer wrote "BIOS for MS Windows XP". And does it mean: If a user intend to install Windows XP on a Linpus machine, a BIOS flash would be a good idea? And: Will a A150X be less realiable, if somebody intend to install Linux on it ...

... questions over questions ...

Any thoughts, facts (or references to other web-sites dealing with this issue), that will bring light into this issue are welcome.

KGB, Sep 15, 2008
  2. KGB

melhiore

Sounds possible, but same like you I don't see any reason to prepare two separate BIOS versions. I installed WinXP PRO on Linux version with 120GB HDD - working good so far... Also looking at the BIOS functions there is not much to change - BIOS is just booting device from HDD or USB and that's it. Rest of the stuff is system related...

melhiore, Sep 15, 2008
  3. KGB

fernsie

Strangely I have never seen a Linux specific BIOS, however, you will often find, for new machines, BIOS's for specifically XP, or Vista
    - Couldn't tell you what the difference n settings would be and have never had any issue installing either O/S on either BIOS.

fernsie, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question