Did my AAO die? Please help urgently.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lostnumber, Jun 18, 2009.

1. lostnumber

lostnumber

I bought it in September last year.

It went into standby and didn't come out.

Power light is on

Fan spins

Screen is off

Battery is charging as I have it plugged in.

I can turn it off. Attempts to turn it off are met by black screen, fan going, power light on, no hard drive activity

This has been posted before but no clear solution is obvious to me.

Please advise urgently...

Is it dead?

lostnumber, Jun 18, 2009
  2. lostnumber

Universal

With out have the machine directly in front of me its hard to say, without being able to conduct hardware tests it really hard. But never the less I’ll try to help.

From the symptoms you are describing it sounds like a defective bios a known problem with the aao one which was fixed with a bios update which suggest a bug in the aao firmware/bios.

I whould therefore think you might be able to get away with a bios flash using the aoa firmware recovery mode

You can find out about it here. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

it will revert to the orginal bios then you should up grade to a newer bios which has this problem fixed. if you look on macles blog you should find a guide to update your bios.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought you might of exhausted that you self but yer decently try discharging the divice first.

You do this by removing all sources of power that includes the battery. With no ac power or battery connected then hold the power switch down for 30 seconds and try again.

Disclaimer

I am in no way responsible for any damage caused to you or your property and/or others. Nor the voiding your warranty if acer thinks a bios flash will void your warranty.

With that said good luck mate let us know how you got on

Cheers

Universal (every body knows it’s universal)

Universal, Jun 18, 2009
  3. lostnumber

donec

have you tried disconnecting the power cord and removing the battery for about 10-20 seconds then reconnecting them and turning on the AA1?

donec, Jun 18, 2009
  4. lostnumber

lostnumber

I found the BIOS update solution and it's all fixed!

lostnumber, Jun 18, 2009
  5. lostnumber

lostnumber

well apparently not. it hung and all i get is a black screen with fan on. do i need to go through this process again?

lostnumber, Oct 25, 2009
  6. lostnumber

hansi1

I had the same problem with mione but it is still under warranty with JL, so they sent it back and they upgraded the BIOS to 3304 ( I think( and it's ok now except that the fan still runs all the time.

hansi1, Oct 25, 2009
  7. lostnumber

lostnumber

I used the bios recovery procedure and it worked.. again.

lostnumber, Oct 27, 2009
Ask a Question