did i get the wrong hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by villa22, Nov 30, 2008.

1. villa22

villa22

i bought a brand new HITACHI TravelStar 20GB 1.8" Hard Drive ZIF C4K60-20. to replace my 8gb ssd harddrive.
    the specs at:
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Hitachi_TravelSta ... ductdetail
    say it is a ATA-100 with the zif connector.
    but i guess its not a sata or pata witch i have to say i dont fully understand.
    when i tried it i get nothing, bios does not read it, i hear no spinup, the only thing i get is a steady lite drive light.
    now im thinking i bought the wrong drive.
    and if so can anyone recommend a fast drive about 20-30 or so gb as i dont need lots of space just a low cost.

villa22, Nov 30, 2008
  2. villa22

goofball

ATA-100 is a PATA drive.
    Quite possibly, you need a different ZIF cable.

goofball, Nov 30, 2008
  3. villa22

villa22

do you mean a specialized cable or just a new one. because i put my 8 gb ssd back in and it works fine. using it right now to write this.

villa22, Nov 30, 2008
  4. villa22

Guest Guest

Search the forum for a way to make a "flip cable" to get it working.

Guest, Nov 30, 2008
  5. villa22

k0407

I have been browzing the web and someone has been saying that you cannot replace the Intel MLC-SSD within AOA-110 with any other storage media.
    The reason I am looking for this piece of information is because I also want to replace the SSD with a CF/1.8" ZIF HDD.
    In fact I have tried both, and the bios of 110 just won't recognize any of them.
    I have tried replacing the MLC-SSD with Kingston 266X ultimate CF (which is SLC) connected to a CF to ZIF convertor but it won't work.
    Then I replaced the MLC-SSD with a Hitachi 1.8" HDD (ZIF) and it won't work too.
    I have tested the several Zif cables which I have and they all work with the MLC-SSD but not with the CF and Toshiba HDD.

So I don't think it is a matter of the drive itself.

Please drop me a note if you know the solution round the problem. Meanwhile I plan to just put the AOA-110 aside for awhile.

k0407, Dec 1, 2008
  6. villa22

k0407

Just read a great comment from Jefri, at least it is a direction to take.....
    I have copied his reply from 'Hacks & Modifications' as below.

Re: 1.8Zif or CFF Upgrade Instructions Please
    by Jefri on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:24 pm
    1.8 zif hdd use : 1.8zif hdd if brand hitachi u have to use reverse zip cable,if toshiba u use original zif cable
    CF use : 1.8zif to cf adapter include cable,using the reverse one [sell on ebay] + CF card with at least 266x speed,300x better

k0407, Dec 1, 2008
  7. villa22

villa22

i got my hitachi drive working in my aspire one 110
    after reading the forum i made a reverse zif cable aka a zif flip cable
    for all the other people like me out there saying what is a flip cable
    its a cable where the exposed pins are on opposite sides of the cable.
    i did not have one i followed the directions on the forum and carfully sanded
    though the back of my cable putting a piece of scotch tape on the other side to
    reinforce the cable where i was sanding carefully putting it back into my aspire one and hot damn it worked.
    note look at pin one on your hitachi drive and the little dot on mother board for where pin one is on aspire one you will see without using a flip cable you cant make it work.
    (assuming the exposed pin are facing down on both circut boards).

villa22, Dec 13, 2008
  8. villa22

os111acerone

gotta love this forum!

Bought a 20 gig Hitachi hdd off ebay for 20 dollars shipped.

Thought the hdd was incompatible on first connection.

Read some posts on how this drive needs a 'flip zif cable' and could be created with original cable.

Some notes on modifying the cable. I had to sand the plastic tab down, then i needed to cut off the already exposed end. (you'll see what i mean; if both ends are exposed, the cable is too fragile and will fray). Sanding about 2-3mm fom the edge is sufficient so far to be recognized. Keyword for sanding is patience as other members have posted! Don't rush it, the cable is delicate and you only have one shot or else get ready to order one from ebay :p

Drive showsup in BIOS, currently installing windows and it is going without a hitch so far..

os111acerone, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question