Did I break my D250 on the first day?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by barrysanders, Jan 17, 2010.

1. barrysanders

barrysanders

I just got a new D250 yesterday and was trying to remove the keyboard in order to install a DW 1510 wireless card. When I attempted to remove the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard, even with the slightest bit of pressure upwards, the thing completely crumbled in my hands. I assume I probably missed a step before trying to pull it up? My hardware knowledge is at least 6 years out of date and I've never worked on laptops/netbooks before so these cables were unfamiliar to me.

What I'm wondering is if I can just buy a replacement keyboard, or if I'm basically screwed. My problem is I don't know if the part the black part that crumbled was part of the motherboard's port or the ribbon cable itself. You can see some of it still on the pins. I've included two images of what I'm looking at now. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

barrysanders, Jan 17, 2010
  2. barrysanders

D250_1821

Ouch,

The keyboards are replaceable and cheap. But unfortunately, yours looks fine. The connector on the motherboard needs to be released by sliding out or lifting a tab (depending on the style). but yours looks bent too much. If you can bend those pins straight and put the ribbon cable back it might work if you're lucky. But the only fix there is to solder on a new connector to the motherboard which is entirely possible but not a beginner task. Local computer shop might do it for a reasonable rate, but warranty isn't going to happen.

good luck

D250_1821, Mar 10, 2010
Ask a Question