Dial-up external USB modems

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Mark, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark

I frequently travel to remote areas that do not have WiFi access. Has anyone found a dial-up external USB modem that works with the Aspire One?

Mark, Aug 26, 2008
  2. Mark

collinsc

Hi Mark,

I am also looking for a USB modem for the One. I travel to a lot of places that don't have highspeed internet, and dial-up is the only option. I don't understand why none of the netbooks have a modem, not even as an optional accessory.

Chris

collinsc, Aug 27, 2008
  3. Mark

blackjack

Maybe something like this tiny $30 TRENDnet dialup modem at Circuit City would fit the bill? (if it worked with Aspire One, and assuming you have a dialup Internet provider in mind)
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TRENDnet ... tDetail.do

TrendNet's dial-up modem official page:
    http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail ... 60U&cat=51

I think I still have a much clunkier old USB dial-up modem in my closet (for some bizarre reason, in my late dialup days, I thought a USB model might be faster than a modem card :oops: ), and I've toyed with taking it to my mom's house (she's frugal and still uses dialup though we could easily get her set up with cable Internet) to see if it works with the Aspire One there.

I know that's not much help, since this particular USB dialup modem is no longer produced. I just figure if I can show the AO *can* work with a dialup USB modem at all, then it might be helpful to know. :)

My retired mom won't let me replace her aging Windows ME machine (which I got from Micro Center in maybe 2001). I'm not sure the fonts on the Aspire One are quite big enough for her eyesight (even if I use the largest available), but if I could get an Aspire One working with dialup, and let her try that, I think she might like the idea. :)

blackjack, Aug 28, 2008
  4. Mark

collinsc

Hi blackjack,

Thanks for the info. Yes, something like that TRENDnet modem would be perfect. My only concern is that my AO runs Linux, and the TRENDnet website says "Compatible with Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista ", and doesn't mention Linux.

And yes, it would be helpful to know if you can get your AO working with any modem. Is yours running Linux or XP?

Thanks,
    Chris

collinsc, Aug 28, 2008
  5. Mark

blackjack

I'm afraid I have the XP/120GB model. I'll do a little research, and see if I can find any Linux info on that TRENDnet modem.

Some Googling pulled this up at some Ubuntu forums:

USB Dialup Modem Redux
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-617623.html

For them the successful workaround (in Ubuntu anyway) was to use a dialup modem with an onboard controller (a serial port type modem), and then use a serial-to-USB converter cable. They have some advice there on cable chip types to look for. Not exactly an easy Linux solution (it reminds me of the juryrigging I've had to do to get my old Palm Zire 71 to even partially synch in Windows Vista 64-bit), but maybe it's doable? :geek:

blackjack, Aug 28, 2008
  6. Mark

Mark

The Rosewill RNX-56USB ($25) and Zoom 3095 ($50) are both listed as Linux compatible. However, no one seems to know if they will work with Linpus Linux Lite. Best Buy suggested I take it home and see if I could get it working within 30 days, if not, return it. May have to try that.

Mark, Aug 28, 2008
  7. Mark

collinsc

Both of those modems look like they should do the trick. Bit I'm hesitant to buy one, because I don't see how I can configure my AAO to use one. The Connection Manager doesn't seem to have any choices other than LAN, wireless, and 3G.

collinsc, Sep 7, 2008
  8. Mark

yodersj

From these:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.9
    http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/brows ... ?rev=10031
    it appears one needs 1) A USB modem that is not a "winmodem"; and 2) The following kernel modules:
    - usbcore.ko
    - uhci-hcd.ko OR ohci-hcd.ko OR ehci-hcd.ko
    - cdc-acm.ko

The Linpus kernel has the uhci-hcd.ko and ehci-hcd.ko modules, but none of the others. This post might help in creating them:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=608
    You'll probably also need to update NetworkManger or use something like wvdial.

Sorry I can't help any further, but all I've got is an old serial modem. No idea if a USB2Serial adapter would work with it. I do have a USB ethernet adapter, which I snagged for US$5 a while back thinking I'd wind up with a netbook that only had wireless by the time I was able to afford one.

yodersj, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Mark

umonster

Yikes, this sounds like a nightmare. Are there any step-by-step guides for noobs to get a USB dialup modem to work on the Linux AA1?

umonster, Sep 18, 2008
  10. Mark

Duncan_Rowland

For "dial-up modem" could you use a mobile phone modem, e.g. E220
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220
    I only mention this model because I have it, and it works great in Linpus with the vodaphone drivers, from here:
    https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

Best, -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 18, 2008
  11. Mark

umonster

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the wikipedia article, but I'm still not sure I understand what these are, or how they work. So, you need a new plan with a wireless service, or does it work with an existing cell phone plan, like with Sprint, for example? I really just need dialup for those occasional times when I don't have access to wi-fi.

umonster, Sep 19, 2008
  12. Mark

Duncan_Rowland

I'm in the UK, so it's surely different here, but I have a pay-as-you-go deal with T-Mobile (PAYG - web'n'walk)). This charges me £4 [Edit: I think this has just come down to £2] a day for unlimited usage that day, but nothing at all if I don't use the device. This suits me since I only use the thing once every couple of months or so. Prepay options are coming down in price, last time I checked these were about £10 a month with free modem (so clearly if I were to use the modem more that a couple of days a month it would be cheaper to go down that route). However, my modem is not locked to a specific supplier, so I can drop any sim card in that is data enabled (to get it data enabled sometimes needs a call to the provider). That way I can use the data plan that is offered by my regular cell-phone provider by swapping the sim card from my mobile phone into the modem. Alternatively I have heard that people use phones like the N95 as a GSM modem itself. Note though with these latter two options it's important to check what the data rate charge is for the sim card your using... one advantage of PAYG is that you can only spend the credit you've put on the card, so there's no danger of accidentally running up a massive bill!
    Hope that help, Best -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 21, 2008
  13. Mark

umonster

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds interesting. Could be helpful when I visit my aunt in Europe.

umonster, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question