Developing An App

Discussion in 'Android' started by sparkster, Jun 18, 2016.

1. sparkster

sparkster

Has anyone here actually managed to develop an Android app and the publish it to the Google Play store? If so, was it worth the effort? I'm not that good at software development, I don't have the time to put into learning it too deeply, but a while ago I did put together a few basic Android apps and tested them out on the SlideMe store (it's free instead of having to pay $25 to sign up as a developer). They didn't perform too bad and made a bit of money in revenue. Not enough to make me rich though.

sparkster, Jun 18, 2016
  2. sparkster

IBMPC8088

Yeah, I have. I did 2 before (one was transfered in ownership to the person who bought it). It was worth it to do. It's a one-time fee for Google and you can upload and add new apps whenever you like.

I considered Amazon and a few other places too, but Google Play has been decent with getting android apps published and out there for people. It is a little of a stickler on making sure that your photos are the right size for screenshots and thumbnails, and a few other small things, but overall it's worth it.

I haven't tried SlideMe before or heard of it until now.

IBMPC8088, Jun 18, 2016
  3. sparkster

sparkster

SlideMe do claim that they were around before Google Play/Android Market and that they were the original Android app market! I don't know if that's true or not but publishing apps there was particularly easy. You can either give them away free and use mobile advertising or sell them (or both). I think they are a French company. I think the market has become too saturated lately though.

sparkster, Jun 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. sparkster

Fuzyon

Yeah, I have a developer account with a few apps on it but they're nothing special, if you think you can make a fortune by one app you're terribly wrong (apps with millions of downloads don't even make a hundred thousand dollars so.. you really have to develop a special app). I think it's worth purchasing a $25 account if you're serious about development.

Fuzyon, Jun 18, 2016
  5. sparkster

vinaya

I have tried couple of automated app makers. I tested these apps on my computer and smartphone. However, I did not publish on Google Play or Apple store. The apps I had created by using webpages. The app showcased my online articles. I am considering learning how to make apps for ioos and android.

vinaya, Jun 18, 2016
  6. sparkster

cluckeyo

Very interesting! Apps are the way of the future, so it would be a real asset for a my site to have one, should a find a purpose for it. Thank you for the information. I might go look at it. Technology: Just when I get one thing figured out, it is time to go learn something different!!

cluckeyo, Jun 19, 2016
  7. sparkster

IBMPC8088

Using an App Maker to write an app is like using a Speak 'N Spell in place of Microsoft Office to write a grant proposal. It's going to be extremely limited on what you can do with it. You're better off learning Java and the Eclipse IDE for making Android programs, or developing and using XCode for iOS. Although iOS does support HTML5 universally per the request from Steve Jobs before he died, again it's going to be extremely limited compared to writing a real program for it that isn't a small web module.

IBMPC8088, Jun 22, 2016
  8. sparkster

sparkster

I agree with this. It's definitely the best way to go if you're really serious about app development. The worst thing about it is that it's so time consuming so you need to have the time and money to be able to invest in it. Alternatively, rather than using Eclipse I much prefer to use IntelliJ IDEA. It's less bulky, faster and much easier to use. Coding an app can also be done directly on an Android device using AIDE which is available from the Google Play store.

sparkster, Jun 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. sparkster

rz3300

Well this is one area that I have tried to learn a little bit more about, but I am sad to say that it is not really going all that well. I think that I just went in with unrealistic expectations, though, and assumed it would be easier than it actually is. It really makes you appreciate those who get out there and do it, though, and I know I am thankful for all the apps I get to use. I will continue to learn, though, and thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 22, 2016
  10. sparkster

AntonioCalcano

I've always found fascinating the world of app development, the only issue I have is that I'm pretty terrible at developing so I would have to study hard first and then I will be able to actually do it, but I hope I can in the future because I want to make money that way.

AntonioCalcano, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question