detects the network but cant connect... (wpa-psk tkip)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wantamad, Oct 15, 2008.

1. wantamad

wantamad

hi guys,

i got my new toy last friday and it came with linpus-what a name.... hehe

but i must say, that os is pretty good for net use, it just feels a bit constricted. the wireless connection however, was solid. it connected to my router with wpa-psk-tkip combo and connected with no problems. i was even able to connect to my local mall's hotspot.

i did a search about alternative os. at first i tried windows, got the wireless working and was happy for a day, then weird problems arose, like cant display hidden files, cant install sygate firewall and stuff. so i just decided to call it quits and install linux again. i went to archwiki and looked for instructions on how to install using usb and to make the long story short, i almost got everything working (thanks to those who contributed to the arch aspireone wiki). my only problem now is... you got it, i cant get my wireless to work. everything i try, no workie...

the aspireone wiki was somewhat lacking with regards to wireless setup but i saw a wireless setup page when searching in the wiki. i followed that and managed to install network manager. i got network manager up and was able to use wired connection with it and it was showing my wpa network and my neighbors so i guess the wireless card drivers were detected properly. i tried connecting but no go... i did another search and installed wpa_supplicant and i wasnt sure if im supposed to fill in the wpa conf file with my settings or if networkmanager takes care of that. i did search for it and somebody somewhere said that networkmanager is supposed to handle that for you. but guess what... it didnt. i know im just doing missing something here. i really appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction.

recap:
    - using ath5k driver module
    - able to detect networks using networkmanager
    - CANT connect to my network (wpa-psk tkip)

many thanks!

wantamad, Oct 15, 2008
  2. wantamad

chazzmor

This happens off and on with my Aspire One with Linux. I can get a strong wireless connection but can't connect to the internet, or the wireless connection(s) are detected, but when I try to connect I keep getting a "network disconnected" message and it repeatedly tries to connect with no success. It happens on home networks and at free wifi hotel networks. In a home network I find I just need to reboot the wireless router and/or cable modem and the wireless internet connection is restored.

chazzmor, Oct 18, 2008
  3. wantamad

steven.chien

Do any body have any idea on how to solve this?

steven.chien, Oct 25, 2008
  4. wantamad

smallfriex

I've got the same problem. Has anyone solved it / got any suggestions please?

smallfriex, Oct 25, 2008
  5. wantamad

moahe

Same problem here. Usually, the WiFi network works well. But sometimes the Network Manager just cant connect and after a few retries, prompts me to input the password again, which then mostly also doesnt work. After the 4-5th retry then it works. The whole behavior, when it accepts the password and when not, seems to be pretty random.

This password prompting is pretty annoying. Is there some way to force the network manager to never ask me the password and just to keep trying the one it has, until the connection works? I'd like to buy an AAO for my parents, but cant let them deal with this miserable state of network connectivity, so please help. Is there some way to contact Acer Support about this?

Is this probably a problem with Linpus or with the Wifi drivers? Do the Windows AAO version generally work better? I would like to buy them a linux AAO, but will not if I cant force this annonying password prompt away.

moahe, Oct 26, 2008
  6. wantamad

clueless

Aspire One Mini laptop, Windows XP, same problem! Can't connect to some wireless networks. Seems to work fine at home but can't connect in school. I believe I've got the latest drivers.
    Anyone know if the BIOS has anything to do with this? That's something I have not updated, although I have seen an update for it.

clueless, Oct 29, 2008
  7. wantamad

atonwilliams

I had the same problem when I first got my AA1. I had an older 802.11b netgear (mr814v2) that it had trouble connecting to. Once I bought a new router (Dlink DIR-615) I've been able to connect (using wpa) without any problems.

atonwilliams, Oct 30, 2008
  8. wantamad

ultrarunner

I've been having the exact same problem with my new Aspire One with linux. The WiFi works great in hotels, aiports, and coffee shops, finds the best connection and automatically connects with no probems at all. But we tried connecting it to our DSL connection (hard wired cable) and it won't connect. We also network in the house, and it won't connect to that either, even though all the other Windows XP laptops in the house connect. I'm assuming this is a software Linux issue, and not hardware as the computer works fine in areas that aren't encrypted. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
    Len

ultrarunner, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question